What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

will this intercom be sufficient for my needs?

blueflyer

Well Known Member
I will have a D100, D120, AP74, HS34, an SL30, one Microair 760 radio, one Val Nav 2000, and a Val AP100 audio panel.

If I choose to use the Flightcom 403MC intercom, http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/av/intercoms_0browse/flightcom403mc.php will I be limiting myself in any way? I believe the 403MC only has one aux input, but I'm not sure if this is limiting since I have an audio panel. The audio panel has 4 unswitched audio inputs on top of 2 coms, 2 navs, speaker and a marker beacon. I wont use the marker beacon as a MB, so can I use it for something else?

Any advice is appreciated. I would like to stay on the low end of the price scale of intercoms if possible. The stuff is very confusing to me.

Last edited:
My comment is that I believe the 403 has a single squelch circuit, so when one person speaks both mikes are turned on. This means you will pick up twice as much background noise. Whether or not this is acceptable depends on how loud it is inside your airplane. If it were me I'd look for an intercom with two squelch circuits (one control should be okay, as long as there are two circuits internally).
Edit: if it were up to me, I'd look at the Dynon intercom and ditch the audio panel. Or maybe a PS intercom for a little more.

Last edited:
Good move, IMO the PSE is a much better unit than the Flightcom!

Last edited:
I went to the PM1000II several years and have never regretted it.

It's great. Even more so if you have miss-matched headsets.

I don't want to hijack this thread but the OP seems to have achieved liftoff.
Can any of the experienced hands here give an opinion of the Sigtronics SPA 400 in a noisy cockpit, vs a PS unit?
John

Can any of the experienced hands here give an opinion of the Sigtronics SPA 400 in a noisy cockpit, vs a PS unit?
John

A good friend of mine installed their Sport 200 (supposedly made for noisy environments) into his Legend Cub and is sorely disappointed with it. At full volume you can hardly hear the other person over the intercom and this was with good old standard David Clark headsets. Another friend had one of Sigtronics' larger panel-mount 4-place units (possibly the SPA400) in his C182 and it seemed to work pretty decently but the 182 is not a very noisy airplane at all to ride in.

If you've got a truly noisy cockpit, then nothing on the market can beat a PS Engineering PM1200. It's the King Kong of noisy airplane intercoms.

The PS Engineering intercoms are all extremely good performing units in noisy airplanes. I run the PM3000 stereo unit in my RV-6 and would not trade it for any other intercom on the market... except maybe another PSE unit :)

Back