What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will paint crack when bending skins?

magiccarpet

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all
I am about to paint the interior of my RV-12 and I would like to include the inner side of the turtle deck skins to this painting session as well. Those two skins are not yet installed and are laying prepared and flat on the workbench.
I am a bit concerned, when I install the skins later on, that the paint might crack due to the skin radius in final shape (compressed paint).
I am using a 2k Polyurethane paint over a 2k Epoxy primer.

Shall I wait to paint the turtle skins until they are installed or is there nothing to worry about?
Thank you very much for your expertise on that.

Paint crack

I painted all my interior parts before riveting. In my case I used PPG Super Koropon epoxy primer over an alumiprep/alodine preparation. The cockpit area used Sherwin Williams Jetflex WR over the primer. No worries about paint cracking with this combination. Probably the most curved part is the top skin between the firewall and instrument panel. It's been on and off lots of times so far.

If in doubt, paint a piece of scrap aluminum and bend it to satisfy yourself if it will crack or not.

Back