What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will downhill skis fit?

TimJRV10

First off, I'm new to both flying and buulding. I'm hoping to start training for my pilots license in September and start building an airplane in 3-6 months. My youngest just left for college, so now, with some extra time available, I thought I may try to purse a lifetime dream of building and flying my own plane.

I'm still in the evaluation phase, trying to determine which kit I should build. My wife and I love to downhill ski, would it be possible to transport a couple pair of 165 cm skis in the rv10? Would the Rv10 be a good plane for flying into ski resorts in the Colorado summit area? (After I have several hundred hours logged)

I'm hoping an RV will fulfill the requirements for a plane because the RV community is amazing.

Tim J

Tim,

Many RVs (not just RV-10s) have been built with special holders to carry skis so the short answer is yes.

Just back from a west run going from Fort Collins CO south to Sandia NM then west to Phoenix. Most of this run was made at 13K' or 14K' and the RV10 is well at home at these altitudes. Spent some time at 17.5K' and the plane flew fine (however the plane was well below gross weight). If you need to go higher you might want to rethink what you are doing.

Carl

Welcome to VAF!

First off, I'm new to both flying and buulding. I'm hoping to start training for my pilots license in September and start building an airplane in 3-6 months.
Tim J

Tim, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

What Carl said, plus you can fly into any airport in Colorado going no higher than 12-13,000 ft. if you know the routes. Our -10 has carried skis, dogs, road bikes, mtn. bikes and a folding tandem; not all at once of course.

Get a thorough mtn. flying checkout before you start doing this stuff. We used to lose several planes every winter; not so frequent any more. I guess those pilots removed themselves from the gene pool.

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback Jim and Carl. It sounds like I should be able to use the RV10 for one of the 'missions' that is critical to my family. I will certainly want to get checked out for mountain flying before trying it. I'll be looking for suggestions for good trainers once I reach that point in my flying.

My neighbor about a half mile down the street from me is in process of building an RV7. I stopped over there this morning to see a home built aircraft for the first time. Very enlightening.

He mentioned that he's seen mods in the tailcone area - adding a shelf - that would accommodate skis, but cautioned that you have to be very wary of what you put back there so you don't affect the center of gravity.

I understand that this is an experimental aircraft so mods are allowed, but I'm wary of making any changes that may have unintended consequences later. As I begin this project I'm sure I'll be looking for advice from experienced builders.

Tim J

Back