What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wife vs RV-7A

jeffrey

Well dropped by Vans yesterday ( mistake #1 took wife ) Money down on rv7a tip up. wife saw invoice, turned white, walked out to our truck. She didnt say a word all the way home.100 mile ride. When we got home she calle d the local Chevrolet dealer ordered a 2008 Corvette, said if I get a new ride so does she. Well thirty years this October have to keep her happy. ( lesson learned. Dont take wife shopping for my toys.) now wait till she sees the cost of the panel. Wonder what thats going to cost me ?
jeffrey
rv7a tip up ordered
working on tail feathers
n187kw reserved

As long as she drives it like a Corvette... if she drives it like a civic then when you buy the panel just buy her a Caddilac STS or something... (and keep the 'vette for yourself)

Keep us posted

as this might get very interesting down the road. Sure hope your bank account is bigger than the one I had with the ex wife. Just don't loose her like I did mine. I had the RV before the marriage and that is how I met her was in the RV. But the RV was a sore thumb later down the road. I still have the airplane and didn't loose the -6 luckily. Ex even mentioned about selling the plane, like what????? I'd sell the house before the plane was one of my comments that didn't go over very well. Just a joke, but needless to say not a good comment. LOL :eek:

Last edited:
Sorry!

If you find yourself avoiding the discussions before major events or purchases, it doesn't get any better after the event or the purchase.

Say your sorry for not talking it over with her, and be tactfully creative ( but still honest) about how to recover.

If you can't get over this difficulty, say goodbye to the plane, the wife and the new corvette. You will then be without a plane and be paying for all the things you no longer have access to, while not being able to afford the things you still desire.

OK, so I am on my 9th year of building, time and money is an issue, but my wife is looking forward to seeing US succeed and fly off into the sunset.

Best wishes and prayers. ;)

I realize there's a fair amount of tongue in cheek here but one thing a lot of builders don't consider is what's involved -- relationship wise -- in building an airplane.

I would strongly recommend you keep no secrets and have a long, LONG conversation now. How much it's going to cost, what amount of time it's going to take away from other aspects of the relationship (and don't for a second think it won't), and what expectations both have.

Personally, I don't think an RV for a wife is a fair swap.

In some situations, an airplane project can be like a spinning die grinder on a relationship. You have to know ahead of time how to handle it safely.

Last year me and the wife(of 30 years) went to Vans for the homecoming. She told me that if I wanted the plane she had to get a ride. She went up first, when she got back she was all smiles and told me to go ahead and get it. I went up and loved every minute. I ordered and now just ordered the finished kit. One stipulation was that she gets the CAD aviator seats with backrest. I said no problem. I don't like glass so the panel is going to be basic as it gets. But I get the stereo system, got to be rocken in the wind. OH, the plane is ours not just mine. She loves to fly, not as a pilot, but as a copilot.

This post was done in jest. Wife was already promised a new vette for our 30th. Wife does know how much $ this is going to take. But after 30 years of bliss, I'm still trying to figure out what to do with her the other 23 hours and 55 minutes of the day :)
jeffrey

My wife (33 years) says I'm done with presents for my birthday, father's day, & Christmas until 2025...that and a new kitchen ought to do it.

Joke circulated by our local wives...

{JOKE-NOT REAL}

Beauty or Brains ????

I took a look at my wife one day and said, "Honey,
43 years ago, we had a cheap apartment, no car, no TV,
no money and slept on a sofa bed, but I got to sleep every night with a hot good looking 18 year old.

Now, we have a beautiful house, two nice cars, king size bed, money, and a 50" screen TV, but I'm sleeping with a 60 year old woman. It seems to me that you are not holding up your side of things."

My wife is a very reasonable woman. She told me
to go out and find a hot 18 year old beautiful girl, and she would make sure that I would once again be living in a cheap apartment, with no car, no money, and sleeping on a sofa bed.

Aren't older women great? They really know how to solve your mid-life crisis !!!

{JOKE-NOT REAL}

jsherblon said:
My wife (33 years) says I'm done with presents for my birthday, father's day, & Christmas until 2025...that and a new kitchen ought to do it.

That's it? My wife wants a KID after I'm done building! :eek:

borrowed from the rvsqn yahoo groups

Marriages are like landings....

Any one you can walk away from is a good one!

After I got my 7A flying my wife is asking for... an RV-10! But she also wants another body (baby) to fill the seats! Baby #1 got me the 7A.

I'm sorry!!! 30 years of bliss and you don't know what to do with 23 hrs and 55 minutes!!!! :rolleyes: Who's bliss? You should have bought her a Gillardo. :D

Roberta

Marriages are like landings - part 2

John C said:
Marriages are like landings....

Any one you can walk away from is a good one!

But, any one where you can use the wife again the next day is a great one! ;)

Ted Johns

Not Again...

My first wife pulled the same thing. Ended up selling the first RV6A project in the DIVORCE and finishing another with a good friend. I'm married again, it's in the pre-nup... !!! :eek:

I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to try and build a plane and be married at the same time. I'm mid 30's and single. Have all the time in the world to work on it as much or as little as I want. Actually I can do what ever I want, no matter what it is, at any time. I would have an extremely hard time giving that up. Hats off to you guys that can pull it off. I don't think I could change enough to manage both.

I never found being married was inhibiting to my building and flying. :p But if you find doing "everything " by yourself :eek: !!!

Roberta

robertahegy said:
I never found being married was inhibiting to my building and flying. :p But if you find doing "everything " by yourself :eek: !!!

Roberta

Yeah, I never found it inhibiting either, but my now ex wife did. Stalled the project for about 18 months while things got sorted.

Deep joy.

Investment advice

Most folks, wifes included do not understand that airplanes go up in value as opposed to cars that go down in value. If you show them this on paper it is hard to argue with logic. It is best to stay away from specific time frames.
The best investment a wife could make in the transportation dept is an old heap with no a/c. Try to get her to show you the $ advantage of a/c power steering etc. She cannot do it. I hope this helps. Believe me I have been married a few times and know how to handel them ;')

RV and CAR

:) Just last year I got the TXM IO360 and I got the wife a BMW325 so this project is going to be expensive. Next I have to build a new house but the good news is its going to be on the airport!!!!!

We started our project 18 months ago. When we started to talk about this, my wife encouraged me to go ahead...but it would be my project. So it was fulll support and full speed ahead with a plan to do the work myself. She got hooked....I mean badly hooked...by the building. Of the 800 hours we have been building, she has missed less then two hours of time. And there is no part of the process she has not tried and mastered. Now she is anxious to have this one done so we can start another.
She needs to be honored as RV spouse of the year.

She does indeed!

My Wife is not that mechanically inclined (despite the fact we hammered every stinking nail in our own house) so while supportive we had some strict guidelines..

1) Get it done in 1 year and 1000 hours
2) She would cook and clean up while I built
3) Paint it THIS TIME before it flies

OK #3 blew #1...But it worked out to 18 months and 1400hours (QB) and she felt as though I had been gone enough by the end.

Frank

ditch said:
I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to try and build a plane and be married at the same time. I'm mid 30's and single. Have all the time in the world to work on it as much or as little as I want. Actually I can do what ever I want, no matter what it is, at any time. I would have an extremely hard time giving that up. Hats off to you guys that can pull it off. I don't think I could change enough to manage both.
Its not the marriage, I suspect, but whether there are kids and how tolerant the wife is. I'm mid-30's too, married but no kids. Jackie is incredibly tolerant; either that or I'm doing something so well she puts up with stuff, but this is a family show and I think she's just tolerant!! Of course, when she wants stuff I kind of have to get it for her (new laptop on the way :( ) but its a small price to pay considering I'm either building the plane or skydiving. I guess she knows that once the plane is actually built and flying we'll be off flying together. I hope she can remember what I look like by then! :D

Later... got the right-front fuse skin to match-drill...

Speaking of wives and RVs...

As a follow up to my last post on the topic:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=8318&highlight=pics+paint

A couple weeks ago, we ran off and eloped:

DSC_0081.JPG

I thought is was a well kept secret, but when I returned, I found this on my airplane, compliments of the local weisenheimers:

For%20Sale%20(Medium).JPG

I think the lesson here is clear- get your RV done (or nearly so) before you sign on to start hanging out full time with the wife.

She once told me (shortly after I gave her the ring) that said ring was a fair exchange for the 6. I had to straighten her out, that the 6 was in my life long before she was, and that the rock was in fact a down payment on the eventual 8. She bought it, and the 8 was started 4 months later.

Life is good.

New wife...

Aaaah, such is life. Ex wasn't airplane tolerant anymore but the new wife schedules a day off so we can go "fly someplace"........usually to the coast for a seafood lunch!

Furthermore, she wants us to build a -10 and as soon as she sells her big $$ property, she's buying us a home at Eagle Neck airpark on a tidal creek by the ocean!!!.......woohooo...YESSSS.

Very happy,
Pierre

at her will

her "when are you gonna be finished" :confused:
me " in a year to six months" ;)
her "youve been telling me that for 3 years" :rolleyes:
me "well this time i mean it" :eek:
her " well not exactly, we need to paint the house" :mad:
me " i'll show you how to paint and you do it" :D
her " ok"
me three rooms later " i thought i was showing you so you could do it"
her " you are " :cool:

We have been married almost 6 years now, and I was 43 before we got married. Prior to meeting Debbie, I had reached a stage in my life that I really didn't care whether or not I ever got married. I was comfortable in my life, could do what I wanted, when I wanted, and for as long as I wanted. I had the house I wanted, I had a new Corvette, I had an airplane, I was out of debt, and I had my Bassett Hound, Gus... Life was good!

I had a Luscombe when I met Debbie and she has always known that it has been a passion for me to build an -8. Deb flies a lot commercially, but never really warmed up to flying in the Lucombe, not quite the same... She was sold on the idea that flying in an RV would be much more enjoyable than a Luscombe, so she has always bought into the idea of me building one. The only thing is that she wanted me/us to do was build an RV-10 instead of an -8. I told her there was no way I was going to build no mini-van!

(Did I mention that somewhere along the process of getting married I somehow misplaced the Corvette? Don't know how that happened..?)

(Did I also mention that I never knew there was so much wrong with my house until we got married? Hmmm..?)

Anyway, after building a new house..., we are now building an RV-8. While we were in the planning stages for the house, I had figured I would just build the plane in the basement. Deb reminded me that I had always wanted a workshop of my own. She said that I ought to go ahead build it when we build the house. Sweet girl...!

She is extremely supportive of anything I want to do and is more than willing to help in any way she can. We try to spend every minute we can together and really hate being apart. She is absolutely the very best thing that has ever happened to me. I have been blessed. Life was good before, but now it's great!

P.S... If anyone figures out what happened to my Corvette, could you please let me know?

I think building an RV ANd being married can be a compatible experience if -- like I said -- everyone has realistic expectations (AND they're the same expectations).

I don't think it would be much fun to build an RV if after I finished a part I ran in only to show the dog what I did.

BTW, this would actually make a great forum at Oshkosh. In the last few years, I've been thinking of arranging RV--only topics at Oshkosh, and have them up at in the campround (at the BBQ) site, which would function as an RVers hospitality area all week.

and then get some of the best and brightest RVers to spend time sitting around talking about htings like making tanks, staying married, hanging engines, choosing avionics etc., in a more RV-only setting.

Someday may be.

Flash saved me...

Doug's velvet gloves were a big factor to getting my bride to be on board, that 45 min sunset ride was the closer. Even more importantly was hangar mate Danny King's Beautiful Doll. After a little side by side time in the -6 and having a close look at the back seat of Danny's 8, we went from " I don't want to sit in the back.." to " Oh there is quite a bit of room an visibility back there.."

BAM!.... so we've gone from the -8, to the -7, even seriously considered the -10, and now we're finally back to what I really want, the RV-8.

It might have been a convoluted journey, but I'd rather have that settled before parts start to show up!

Back