What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Widgeon props?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delusional

Well Known Member
I'm building a 9 and plan on some o-320 variant in the 150 hp range, roughly.

I also happen to have two sensenich props off of a widgeon. They were removed along with the 200hp Ranger engines when it was converted to Lycoming power back in the day. I don't have the logs for the props though I can document the history by other sources.

The hubs are splined and look real big for a o-320 and I bet the pitch is too low since the widgeon is not that fast.

So I really doubt there is any straighforward way to bolt one of these onto a RV-9, but the question is more this; Is there a shop that could use the materials (birch, I think, and stainless l.e.?) to make a prop for my airplane? I understand this may not be the most economical method, but I have some sentimental attachment to the props.

Richard,

It is probably best to hang them on the wall rather than try to modify them for your -9.

I suspect the weight of the thing may be too much for your -9 but don't know for sure. Try putting the thing on a scale to get an idea of what the total weight is before you modify it.

now hanging in a place of honor

in the garage, right where I can see them every time I park the car. They aren't as heavy as one might think, though the hubs are quite massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back