What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wich canopy cover is best?

henriquerv9

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the canopy cover that vansaircraft.com sells ( P/N CANOPY COVER RV-9/9A) is the same as bruces canopy cover for sale at aircraftspruce?

In case negative , which do you think is more resistent and durable for outdoor use? Any other advise will be apreciate!

Thanks for your opinion,

Henrique Castro
RV7 PPXVH

I got mine from Abbey at Flight Line Interiors, have been very happy with it.

I have the light cover from Van's and i like it for short trips. I would not use it for long stays ooutside. I had paint abraision after a windy three day weekend.

Thanks all,

The light weight option is not for me since aircraft will be long periods outside. The flighline seems good as weel, but again, seems not to be for contant use outsise. I need somethimg like a "heavy duty" cover. So i am still in doubt between the one that vans sells or bruce's cover... Or may be the same? Thanks all for the postand helping me to decide, since i am overseas and cant check products myself!

Regards

Henrique

I have seen the Bruce's heavy weight cover and it was very nice. Also padded so it would help the paint scratch problem. You are correct that they may be the same.

We have three RV's, and each has its own Bruce's cover - the fit, finish, and material is outstanding. Not cheap, and they do take up a little room, but if you really want to protect the airplane, they will do the job. I have seen many lightweight covers blowing in the wind, not doing much but beating up the paint and canopy on airplanes over the years - the Bruce's covers really hug the airframe and stay put.

I can't speak to any of the other currently-available brands thatI haven't tried, but I am very happy with the protection we get from our Bruce's covers.

Bruce's pirep

I bought my plane with the Bruces' heavy cover.....later bought the light fly one from Van's.
I think the Bruces' has been on continuously since 2009, plenty of sun ,snow rain etc. in full outdoor exposure at about 51 degrees latitude here in the Okanagan valley. (16 hours of daily summer sun!)
in about 2011 the elastic gave up, and the stitching around the perimeter started to unravel. Bruce offered to fix for free, but the shipping was prohibitive. My wife got out the sewin machine, and top-stitched with some sturdy nylon thread, and I put in a heavier elastic.
The inner padded cloth is great, collects a bit of dirt, but has left the canopy unmarked. Bird cr@p is the biggest problem.
the overall cover is starting to go, the plastic snaps are getting crispy, but it's still functional. I may actually replace it with the same, as I don't trust a lot of fabrics to protect the plexi as well as this one has.
A couple frosty but clear days this winter I kinda wished I had wing covers too!

Very thanks to all replies!!!

After all opinions, i believe the bruces is the way to go for me. They seems to be very resistent and offer good protection for long term outside. Also buying the wing cover!

Thanks again for everybody!!!!

Henrique Castro

Back