What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why you get an instrument ticket...

60av8tor

Well Known Member
Every morning this time of year. So close...

FEBA0F8F-0262-4EBB-8E51-60AE388A2B1E.jpg

Great photo!

And, the skills and situational awareness that come with working through and attaining the Instrument Rating are VERY useful in all types of flying.

One of the more common causes of crashes continues to be the VMC flight going into IMC conditions.

With airplanes that cover 200 miles in an hour, any cross-country trip has at least a little chance of some IMC.

The rating is definitely worth it!

No doubt the Inst rating helps in all regards. But just beware of that creepy layer that goes all the way to the ground...
20131005_072259.jpg
..and now time to head to the alternate.
20131005_083040.jpg

We've got the infamous marine layer here in SoCal, responsible for what's known as May Gray and June Gloom, and it affected my training out of John Wayne, which is quite near the coast. Fortunately, a lot of days the layer would provide a 1500' ceiling, so at least we could do VFR pattern work.

That is my #1 goal for this summer. Stein gets his usual piece of the pie :) but really looking forward to it.

That is my #1 goal for this summer. Stein gets his usual piece of the pie :) but really looking forward to it.

Good luck, and most importantly, have fun with your training. Like Arlen said, it is great training and will improve many aspects of your airmanship. As my picture shows, it also gives you some flexibility. Who knows how long I would have had to wait for the fog to burn off.

FWIW I highly recommend PIC and their 10 day program. I was skeptical about getting a rating in ten days but found the concentrated nature of it to be a huge plus. I got lucky and had about half the training occurring in actual IMC which did a lot to the confidence factor after I got the rating to actually go out and use it. That is was in my plane with the equipment I was going to be using was also huge bonus.

Downside: Time and money. But I figured it cost a lot less that way then dragging things out.

YMMV.

PS - ended up only needing 9 days.

Back