What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why no mention of electric trim in instruct?

I'm well into the elevators and have the 615 trim plate riveted on. In reading ahead I see no mention of the 616 trim cover plate or even where you assemble the electric trim servo etc. This whole assembly seems to be a black hole.

Builder logs have this step, but I don't see it in the step by step instructions.

What am I missing??

Okay, I see that now.

It deals with the trim servo itself, but when do I install on the actual elevator and assemble the Van's components?

It seems like some builders are doing it right after they back rivet the trim plate to the skin.

I built my HS back in 2003-2004. I just installed the electric trim last week and I have my horizontal stabilizer mounted to the fuselage. I did a preliminary fit of the elevators waaaay back when I built the HS but the elevators really need to go on when setting the length of the main elevator push tube and whenever you do the fiberglass tips. Other than that, I don't see any need to mount them permanently to your horizontal stabilizer until your mounting everything to the fuselage hopefully for the last time.

Hope that helps.

Electric Aileron Trim Too

If you decide to install electric aileron trim, you'll have the same issue. No mention in the manual as to when to do the install. You CAN wait until the airplane is done, but you'll have better access to everything if you do the fitting before riveting the center fuselage together.

Once you've got everything fit, drilled, and the harware installed you can remove it for access for riveting the center fuselage, then reinstall at your leisure.

FP31012014A00039.jpg

electric trim

I reviewed and worked the instructions as the left elevator was built just to be sure nothing was missed before it was done. I installed all the parts hooked it up and made sure the adjustment rid was the correct length.
The best part was powering it up with a 9v battery to watch it move. :D
It's great motivation!

Back