What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

why did I have to join the club

instructor_bill

Well Known Member
Some of you may know my pain... the rest of you-- heed my warning.

A tungsten bar is heavy enough that when dropped through the main wing spar into the wing leading edge assembly from a leading-edge down orientation a builder will get three or four perfectly defined dents from within.

One drop, four dents.

My pride is bruised probably more than the wing. I know filler is used for.... well FILLING and I can hide the dents later, I'm just angry. :mad:

No, I'm okay really. I just wish I didn't have to do that. The holes are now covered with 1/4 inch ply sections.

• two separate sections per bay (last three bays) six pieces per wing 12 total pieces
  • long enough to fit between ribs
  • wide enough to fit between spar flanges
  • added benefit is that it will also protect the spar web

Last edited by a moderator:
Same with and aileron push/pull rod...

...I dropped one of the steel push/pull rods complete with rod ends onto the inside of the nose skin. Made a just barely noticeable dent. It was a good job that the rods ends were attached otherwise the screw fitting would have probably done more damage.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Phase 1

Ever wonder why there is a hole in most bucking bars. That's for a leather strap that you wrap around your wrist and to the bar. Imagine dropping a bar from the upperdeck of a 747, practically goes clean through the bell skin when it hits (ask me how I know this). My tungsten doesn't have a hole, I wish it did. I have a ding or two.

You do have to give concious forethought to FOD

Your lesson is a good message for other builders that have not done this yet. Foreign object damage potential is something you have to think about before each task. It doesn't have to be as stringent as those of the Payload Changeout Room on pad 39A and B but you do have to avoid risks in this work or you will have damage.

Bob Axsom

A lanyard is your answer

I taped a lanyard (wire/rope) to my bucking bars when concerned about dropping them in the wings/fuselage. The end of the lanyard is strapped to my wrist.

One good technique I used for riveting my wings was to stuff old towels down into the leading edge of the wing.

Towels Everywhere.....

I second the towel idea. Towels protect everything that I am working on and are always laid in, on or around anything that might get dinged or scratched. It's a good habit. I learned with my HS :rolleyes:

Ever wonder why there is a hole in most bucking bars. That's for a leather strap that you wrap around your wrist and to the bar. ...

I don't think I've ever seen a bucking bar with a hole, but it sounds like a great idea for the strap.

John

Back