What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why can't my 912is sound like a 912is in so many other SLSA?

I spend a lot of time listening to start up, running 912s, and shut downs while at OSH. Every year I ask myself why do our RV12is models not sound so smooth like so many others? Is it the Sensinich prop? Exhaust? Aluminum construction? Prop Balance? Any other RV12is flight school owners on this group? A big part of me wants a few more of these for many reasons, however the recent issues I have had with the Pitot tubes and Garmin issue cause me to pause and ask... Will they hold up? What will they look like with 3k, 4k, 6k hours?

I spend a lot of time listening to start up, running 912s, and shut downs while at OSH. Every year I ask myself why do our RV12is models not sound so smooth like so many others? Is it the Sensinich prop? Exhaust? Aluminum construction? Prop Balance? Any other RV12is flight school owners on this group? A big part of me wants a few more of these for many reasons, however the recent issues I have had with the Pitot tubes and Garmin issue cause me to pause and ask... Will they hold up? What will they look like with 3k, 4k, 6k hours?
Small displacement, high RPM, means more like a Japanese motorcycle. The Rotax aviation line is purpose built, hand built, with a good reputation and track record. They are a different breed than Lycoming and as such have their own learning curve. I would not worry about their longevity, follow the instructions and they should last, particularly the injected models. Care in starting and shutdown to protect the gearbox is an important difference and I would make sure students and instructors alike know how to do it properly. Rough at immediate start is common due to timing controls and is helped by holding the key in start longer than in your car or Lycoming. Your GTN issue I think is related to a one off issue. None of the Garmin electronics are any different than what is installed in any other S/ELSA or experimental plane. Vans and Rotax want the prop dynamically balanced and it should be done if it hasn't been. There are RV-12s with high hours flying, some are here, hopefully the will pitch into the conversation.

Back