What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why builders sell thier RVs?

Alan A

Why builders sell their RVs?

When the RV 7A I've been dreaming about is completed I plan on wearing out several engines. So it surprises me when I often see completed RVs listed for sale with only 100 hours or less on them. Can someone tell me why so many RVs are sold with so few hours on them? Are there that many aviators that enjoy the building process more than the flying?

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
Some guys are builders, some are flyers, some are both.

100 hours per year seems to be more than average. At that rate to "wear out several engines" would take 20 years per engine. I guess a couple would be two and "several" would be three or more...... 60 years :eek:

Speculating forward, 20 years, average 100LL price 7.50 (start 5 end 10) 8 gph = $ 120,000 gas for the first engine.

Insurance, hanger, gas and other mx can make long term ownership for "several engines" cost over a million dollars :eek:

Buying the airplane is the "cheap" part.

Last edited:
When the RV 7A I've been dreaming about is completed I plan on wearing out several engines. So it surprises me when I often see completed RVs listed for sale with only 100 hours or less on them. Can someone tell me why so many RVs are sold with so few hours on them? Are there that many aviators that enjoy the building process more than the flying?

Alan

I agree, I don't put 2000 hours of my life into building an RV just to sell it. I'm keeping both of mine.

Since you asked, when I started my -9a there was no -9. (VANS said 'never'.) My plan was to build the -9a and sell my Supercub.

That first summer it became clear to me the nosewheel was an accident waiting to happen (events appear to have proved me correct) so I sold it. The buyer was clear he only wanted to fly off hard runways. Now I am building a -4.

Please dont flame me for telling you my views. You did ask.

There is a slightly longer explanation here.
http://gikonwhy4.blogspot.com/2006/05/why-did-i-choose-to-build-rv4.html#links

Alan
You can ask the question differently: Why use 5 years (2500 hours) building a plane when what you really want is to fly? Obviously lots of people find out that they will be better off with a finished plane, so a market is created for those who rather like building.

Seems to me the real question is why experimental aircrafts have to be (partially) built by amateurs. Why this 51% rule? The more I think about it, the less sense it makes, particularly when we can sell the aircraft once it is finished. A line should be drawn between commercial and private/recreational use. Then, for private use regarding sale/resale, it is just a matter of documentation, who built it, where and when and how. If the documentation is "approved" by the purchaser, then he also take full responsibility of the technical fitness of the aircraft from that moment on regardless if it originally is built in a factory or in some private garage. The only reasons I can think of are misplaced/antique legal reasons.

This is my 4th build project. After 20 years, I got interested in flying again and I started by building a powered parachute. Took me 40 hours to complete and I flew it for 150 hours over a 2 year period. An absolute blast to fly! A powered parachute is the closest thing there is to being a bird. Low and really slow and maneuverable- pure fun. But you are limited to an area of a few miles and are always worried about wind whipping up.

Then, I got tired of having to haul it to where I wanted to fly and constantly worrying about the winds, so I sold it for half of what I had in it and built a Kolb Firestar. Took me about 500 hours. Still cheap, low and slow and simple. Learned all about fabric. Still the thrill of flight and I could make a hundred mile trip without too much planning. I flew that for 150 hours over a year and a half. The more I flew, the more my mission changed and the more I learned about what I really wanted in an airplane. My skills increased considerably, too.

So, I decided that I needed to be able to go places as well as flying low and slow and just ?playing.? So, I sold the Kolb for half of what I had in it and decided to build a Titan Tornado. I searched around and that model best filled all my mission requirements. I put in a thousand hours of build time over an intense year and got it in the air. As I was building, I kept saying that the Titan will be my last airplane and after being driven to finish like I was, I would never build again. It is a beautiful airplane, I did a really nice job on it- I won Oshkosh Light Plane Grand Champion with it in 2005- I?ve flown all over the country in it and today I have 578.8 hours on it in just under 3 years.

It?s still a great airplane if you want to just fly around a region, take a long trip now and then and it cruises 100 knots on 5 gph. BUT, my mission has changed again and I am ready to build again. Never thought I would think about building again. Never thought I?d even consider selling something that I had so much time and money and effort and emotions in- but, there will soon be an ad on Barnstormers for a Titan Tornado! This time, I hope I can get more than half of what I put in to it ?cause I "spared no expense? since it was to be my last airplane?

I am 300 hours into an RV 7 and I keep thinking how nice my next RV will be after I learn all about building this one?

The point of all this is to say that as you grow, your wants and needs and desires change with you. Some of us grow into other airplanes, others grow out of the hobby.

So, bottom line, don?t be too surprised with the actions of others ?cause you may be doing something in 2 years that you?d never dream of today.

Been there, done that?got the ?T? shirt to prove it.

D-I-V-O-R-C-E..

..........So it surprises me when I often see completed RVs listed for sale with only 100 hours or less on them. Alan

I barely managed to keep mine when about half way through the build my wife of 25 years left, taking my heart, my money and my enthusiasm. Hope you never have to endure that.

I have friends that went through this tough ordeal and had to sell and didn't want to.

Regards,

I LOVE flying my RV8. I flew 125 hours last year. BUT, I also love building and I cant afford 2 airplanes. My plans is to (soon, I hope) sell my RV8, Buy a -4 to fly while I am building my NEW 8, then sell the 4 when it comes time to buy the new engine.
Sounds like a plan!
Al Grajek
RV8

Divorce...

I barely managed to keep mine when about half way through the build my wife of 25 years left, taking my heart, my money and my enthusiasm. Hope you never have to endure that.

I have friends that went through this tough ordeal and had to sell and didn't want to.

Regards,

Pierre... divorce can also work in the other direction...:)

I know of several builders who used their homebuilt projects as a relief from the stresses of divorce. It gave them something else to think about...

I guess it depends on the circumstances...:)

gil A

I like to fly, but I think building is just as much fun. I'm already thinking about what I'll build next, and my 9 isn't even close to done.

You never know!

When I put the last bolt in the -6A, my comment was, "I am NEVER going to do this again!". I really thought the 6A would be my one and only effort.

However, after about 600 hours on the 6A I had a couple of friends who had sold their RV's and were building new ones. I guess it is like building a house. You know, I might have done this a bit different, I would do that again, or I would completely change how I did XYZ on the next plane. In addition, it is just amazing to me the improvements and all the new avionics out there for the homebuilt market. I am really looking forward to the new stuff. (Which will already be obsolete when I order it.)

Soooooo? I am building a 7A. I do part time work, and it gives me something to do when I am not working. I guess the older I get, the harder it is to go from stop to wide open, and from wide open back to stop. Besides, I finally realized that I do enjoy the building journey.

I call it "aluminum therapy" and it truly is. Helps me keep my sanity.

Just as I suspected.

After reading your responses and related threads, the answer to my question is just what I expected. An RV builder/pilot is different than than your average pilot. The RV builder loves to fly but loves to build just as much. I use to own a Mooney M20J 201. Put lots of hours on it and loved flying it. I could go buy another one right now if all I wanted to do was fly, but I think the process of building something and the pride of your workmanship can be just as rewarding as the flying aspect.

Alan

I love building more then flying and i like to fly my rv

I can build more often the weather is always good for building

after my -7 i finished a 7A for a friend then fixed a wrecked 6 then a wreck 4 the finished a 9A then another wreck 4 and now i started a 10

ken

Well, here's a different reason -- my first one was too nice!

I thought my 6A would be the only plane I'd ever build. So every time I had a decision, I went with the best I could afford. New Lycoming, new Hartzell, new Garmin 430 stack. Nothing but the best. It was a wonderful plane and I truly loved it for four and a half years. But I also had over $80K invested and even though it was paid for, it still cost me $500/month to own it. I finally had to let it go. Besides, I was hankering for something different -- a taildragger of some sort that would be a little more sporty and a little less practical. I never did that much cross-country anyway.

I wound up buying a "previously owned" RV4 kit. (Actually, I'm the 4th owner and I picked it up for a song!) I'm having a blast building again. This time is going to be different. This time I'm going to keep the cost out of the stratosphere so I won't feel like I'm risking the family fortune everytime I take it up. This will be a pure fun plane. I'm even planning to make it a "convertable", like the Gene Wilkie open-cockpit 4.

But mostly I just really enjoy building again.

Do they?

I've been flying my RV-6A since March of 2004 and it would take a lot of money to get it away from me under the current circumstances. If I fail my medical or die it would have to be sold but otherwise there is a special bond between me and that airplane. When I'm flying, it performs well and I feel good about it but when I really get struck with the electric feeling is when I turn the light on in the dark hangar. The flawless image strikes me every time like a personal work of art that I don't have to share with anyone and get their approval to reinforce the pride. Some consider an airplane just a construction project, or a toy, or transportation but for me there is much more to my airplane. I spent eight years building it in the confines of our garage trying to make it as perfect as I could and developing acceptable repairs when I made an error always focused on successful completion. When I made the first flight there was an instant of transformation after I pulled back on the stick when I sensed that we were flying. When I say "we" I mean me and the airplane and when I say "instant" I mean exactly that moment of birth.

I continue to modify my airplane for cross country racing and I have no desire to start building again from scratch. I have been lucky to be able to afford the airplane, it satisfies my operational desires and I remain healthy but those are three reasons why people sell airplanes - not just RV airplanes.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I hear ya Pierre

Regards,

Worse thing that ever happened to me, coincided with a moved to the USA at the same time..Knew no-one had zero support..It was tough.

Mind you if it hadn't happened I would never have met the beautiful Marci...Selection criteria is a bit different the second time round!

So now Divorce was the BEST thing that ever happened..:)

Frank

I doubt I would ever sell mine when it's completed. I think I would have as much fun just looking at it as flying it. Always loved airplanes and can't help but watch when even a 152 flys over. Owning a plane like this has always been a dream of mine and I really think I would do anything to keep it. I just hope that in 21 years when I retire, my 401k is where I want it to be and there is still gas around to fuel it. If that all comes true, I'll be a permanent fixture in the air.

Selling your soul

Here is my story, it took 7.5 years to build my RV, we moved and took other jobs, I started to work on planes for a living. Our income decreased so the toy had to go if we were to ever buy a house. I still know where the plane is, its on it?s 3rd owner and yes it still hurts to see it, wish I could have bought it back. Should be starting an 8 soon, but I would rather be flying than building. I was a pilot turned builder.
Think long and hard before you sell, it becomes a part of you.

Randy

Back