What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who's the resident ICOM A210 guru?

TS Flightlines

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Issues with a ICOM A210. In an under construction RV8. Originally was connected WITH a external Soft Com intercom. On transmit, Skyview and AOA LEDS would go nuts. Rechecked grounds, antenna lead, all appear good. Disconnected ( the working) Soft Com, and reconnected with just the internal intercom. Same electronics fluxuation, and now extremely low volume on headset and mic. But, listening on another aircrafts radio, the transmissions loud and clear
Frustrating for me, since I do hoses, and trying to help someone out.
Any ideas--help--appreciated.
Can email me at [email protected]
Thanks a bunch--
Tom

I always suspect grounding issues first when looking at audio problems.

Are the headphone jacks insulated from the airframe with a pair of fiber washers, one of which has a shoulder to fit into the panel hole??

My experience is that when stuff goes nuts in the cockpit when you key the mic, you have a pretty good RF leak into the cockpit. I'd vote to check the antenna leads again - particularly if it has a simple bent-whip antenna (without a BNC connector).

Paul

EMI Issue

Dynon has a fix for the interference on the Skyview display.
They are adding filters to the Engine Management Module.
No charge but you will need an RMA. Is the AOA part of the Skyview system?
We also have the Icom A210 Radio.
We are waiting for our return from Oshkosh to send ours in.

Last edited:
I had numerous wiring problems with my 210. but that was because I have a real hard time with elec schematics. then I had to figure out how to properly set up the radio. still working on all the options in set up. got lots to learn. but am flying with it and its a great radio!

Dummy load

See if you can borrow a dummy load from a local ham. Connect the coax to it and it will contain the rf on transmit while presenting a safe load to the transmitter to keep it from shutting down.
Now you can see if the problem is gone, if so its likely either the antenna is faulty or the problem children on board are overly sensitive to rf. still there? Try another coaxial cable.
You could also try a different antenna to isolate the cause, or transmit from a hand held in the cockpit or from another ship park next to it.
Just some ideas to help isolate the cause.
Tim

Paid up in 2013

Back