What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whoops...Flap Mistake

compren

So I'm working on my flap and was down to the very last rivet on the very last rib. I pull the cleco out and it hits me...I failed to dimple this last hole in the skin (the rib is dimpled). I think I probably just overlooked this hole while dimpling the skin.

This is the inboard flap rib, last rivet hole in the trailing edge of the flap, so it's a really tight fit...and the web faces out so a vice grip dimpler won't help.

Before I drill out a dozen rivets <just> so I can dimple the skin on this last hole, does anyone have any ideas? I had been using pulled rivets on the last hole due to space constraints. Will a pulled rivet dimple the skin into the already created dimple in the rib? Was thinking of trying a pop rivet dimpler, but I can't even get the nail thru the backside of the hole due to the tight quarters.

Any ideas?

-JB
RV-7

i just took the dimple die out of my squeezer, put in the hole and tapped it with a small hammer. put rivet in and moved on. it won't be the last hole you forget to dimple, or match drill. lol

You can also help form the depression carefully using a countersink in a hand driver. In this case a dull (used on fiberglass) tip would work better than a sharp one or you can even turn it backwards. You don't want to remove much if any material or the head won't have a lip in the thin skin.

Take the male side of a pop rivet type die, put a thumb screw style cleco through it and carefully tighten it down in the hole. That should form a reasonable dimple.

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone...going to try the thumbscrew cleco idea first (hadn't even occurred to me to try that), then move on to the others. Appreciate the help!

Back