What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

White Paint for Weldment Parts

Hi, I've got a couple of unpainted steel parts that need a coat of paint to prevent corrosion. I remember seeing in here somewhere that Home Depot offers a paint that is a pretty close match to the white coating used on Van's weldment parts. I looked and looked but couldn't find it. I'd appreciate it if someone would point me to it, or a suitable brush-on white paint that I can use. Thanks.

I painted steel parts on my RV-8 project that were not powder coated with Rustoleum spray paint from Lowe's. I should walk out to the hangar and take a photo of my painted part next to one powder coated to show you.

IMG_3134.jpg

The "Bent Stick" is an aftermarket part that did not come from Van's Aircraft and the part with the label is the one that came from Van's Aircraft.

Last edited:
I painted steel parts on my RV-8 project that were not powder coated with Rustoleum spray paint from Lowe's. I should walk out to the hangar and take a photo of my painted part next to one powder coated to show you.

View attachment 54852

The "Bent Stick" is an aftermarket part that did not come from Van's Aircraft and the part with the label is the one that came from Van's Aircraft.
The Sherwin Williams JetFlex has a white that exactly matches.

Hi, I've got a couple of unpainted steel parts that need a coat of paint to prevent corrosion. I remember seeing in here somewhere that Home Depot offers a paint that is a pretty close match to the white coating used on Van's weldment parts. I looked and looked but couldn't find it. I'd appreciate it if someone would point me to it, or a suitable brush-on white paint that I can use. Thanks.
Rust-Oleum Farm Implement spray can "Ford Grey" is a very very close match to the Van's powder coat. Note Van's have used different shades of grey over the years. If Home Depot doesn't have the paint then a tractor supply house should.

From Van's website (pdf file): What Paint Brands and Colors does Van’s Aircraft use?

"POWDER COATED PARTS:
Older gray parts are Cardinal brand, color GR-230. More recent white parts are Cardinal brand, color T009-WH111 90% gloss. An equivalent Sherwin Williams code is PWS9-40002. A Dupli-Color applicator is also available from some auto parts stores: part code NG CC 362."

Back