What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whistling RV-9

bsacks05

Well Known Member
My -9 had a whistling problem so bad that people on the ground said it sounded like a turbine when I was on downwind.
That is not the sound I want coming from my RV.
Turns out it was coming from the empenage hinge openings. I guess the 9/9A tail surfaces are so big that the sound resonates and gets amplified. I know of one other -9 with that problem. Anyway, some Van's UMHV(sp) tape did the trick.

Thanks for the solution

:) I posted a little while ago about this whisling sound on my RV9a, because I have the same problem. Nobody knew what the problem was. I thought it was the resonance of the step. I was thinking to solve it by changing the resonance frequency of the step, by filling it with foam etc. The sound was mostly heard at about 130 kts. Now you found the cause of this annoying sound. hurray for you...I will plug that hole and will have a "quiet" aircraft. Another puzzle solved I think. Well done for your research and thanks so much.

Pete

Last edited:
So my -9A will whistle like my old Tri-Pacer and all short wing Pipers for that matter? I live near the downwind 16/34 leg at OGD. I always know when there's a Short Wing in the pattern.
Some things should never change.
Steve

Back