What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirlwind Aviation "WOW"

PerfTech

Well Known Member
..This supplier recently surprised me with exceptionally fast, very accurate as described, friendly and professional service. Jeremy at their Ohio facility worked with me to custom build and modify this new C/S propeller and governor to fit my exact needs and application. They also expedited this somewhat complicated special order to accommodate my rather tight scheduled trip out of the country. They were forthcoming with all and any information I requested, the product arrived to the minute as promised, in perfect condition, packaged better than any rare item of antiquity. I must say, I am extremely impressed with the quality, professionalism and workmanship displayed in this product. This product is as perfect as perfect gets and I can not see any place for improvement in this beautiful piece of engineering (short of making it free). I would even venture to say that the "nay sayers" and self proclaimed "engineers" that always chime in with their opinions here in this forum would be speechless after viewing this kind of quality and service. I just can't say enough in regards to this transaction and couldn't be more pleased. After flying the first hour, I see very dramatic improvements in all aspects of performance. The take-off roll was shortened by over 125 ft, climb at gross was over 2100 ft. min. and top speed at 5,000 was approaching vne. I will post some accurate performance numbers in the propeller section shortly. Thank You, Jeremy and all staff at Whirl-Wind Aviation. Regards, Allan Anti-Splat-Aero LLC :D:D:D:D:D

Enter you plane in a SARL race, win your class ...

This is all nice information about you experience with the propeller manufacturer but performance wise it is all fluff to me until you enter a SARL cross country air race (www.sportairrace.org) and win your class. When you beat the Hartzell blended airfoil prop with the proper blades and diameter on competing similar RVs, I will listen to the performance claims. The complete Excel files for every one of the 1162 race flights sorted by race, speed, class, aircraft type and pilot are available for download at www.sportairrace.org.

Bob Axsom
RV-6A, 72" Hartzell C/S with F7496 blades, Race 71, RV Blue Class

Last edited:
VNE

If you are approaching VNE in level flight at 5000 feet MSL.......well........I want one of those propellers too!!!!!

This is all nice information about you experience with the propeller manufacturer but performance wise it is all fluff to me until you enter a SARL cross country air race (www.sportairrace.org) and win your class. When you beat the Hartzell blended airfoil prop with the proper blades and diameter on competing similar RVs, I will listen to the performance claims. The complete Excel files for every one of the 1162 race flights sorted by race, speed, class, aircraft type and pilot are available for download at www.sportairrace.org.

Bob Axsom

If I am not mistaken, this section of the forum is to review ones experience with suppliers that offer parts and services to the aviation community that frequent this venue. That is what I have attempted to accomplish with my post. I feel no need to impress anyone but myself with my purchases or aircraft. I posted what I observed and feel anyone interested in a Whirl-Wind product couldn't go wrong. I don't wish to race or abuse my RV-9 as that is not why I have it. When I have a need for that I fly one of my other airplanes. Thanks, Allan

VNE

Allan,

I did not intend to offend you. I'm glad for your success and pleasant experience with Whirlwind Aviation.

I will ignore the performance claims.

Bob Axsom

OK you guys, I'm not offended at all and am glad to see you are all alive and active on this thread! What I said was it was approaching VNE! I said nothing about how close it got. We will talk about that when I get good reliable info to post. But I sure verified that this vender review section gets read and discussed. God I love this forum! Thanks all, Allan

Bob Axsom

You can't serious believe the only way to validate performance improvements is to win a SARL race? Seriously? This is the absolute worst venue to validate anything related to aircraft performance as the variables are impossible to isolate. The ONLY info you get by winning a class match in a SARL race is that on that day, under those conditions, you, your route, planning, and airplane were better than the others which can happen for any myriad reasons.

The ONLY info you get by winning a class match in a SARL race is that on that day, under those conditions, you, your route, planning, and airplane were better than the others which can happen for any myriad reasons.

This certainly true. Unfortunately reported speed data for a particular airplane would seem to be about equally useless for evaluating the performance of its propeller (or other single component), for the same reasons. The exception to this might be repeated testing of the same airplane with two different propellers, such as Randy Lervold and Larry Vetterman have done. When Larry compared the 7496 blended airfoil to the Whirlwind on his 7A he could not measure a difference: http://www.vettermanexhaust.com/?86522320

Regarding racing, its also true that the same planes tend to finish in the same order over and over, so there does seem to be some comparative value. It would be interesting though to see more Whirlwind-equipped airplanes involved. Some of the fastest airplanes for the their power actually don't use either Hartzel or Whirlwind (for example the Hammer brothers and Klaus Savier).

Ah, well yes I do

You can't serious believe the only way to validate performance improvements is to win a SARL race? Seriously? This is the absolute worst venue to validate anything related to aircraft performance as the variables are impossible to isolate. The ONLY info you get by winning a class match in a SARL race is that on that day, under those conditions, you, your route, planning, and airplane were better than the others which can happen for any myriad reasons.

Yes I do.

Bob Axsom

Back