What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which yoke(s) for a 9

Looking for advice on the best selection of yokes for a pneumatic squeezer when building a 9A ; Vans "recommended tools" suggests a 3" yoke, and reading through the forums there's frequent mention of the 4" no-hole and the Longeron yoke. Would these three cover all my building needs?

I'm about to send in the orders for Emp Kit and Tools, and living in Australia, want to get all the tools up front.

Yes, these are the three that you should really have. You don't really need any others. You can easily sell these when you're done, probably for close to what you paid for them.

Also be aware that Van's list is not very complete. I probably spent about $500-$1000 for other tools that really help the build.

(This comes from someone who has really tried very hard to keep the costs down. I'm on a pretty tight (self-imposed) budget relative to most builders I know.)

I am building a nine and have a three inch yoke , a longeron yoke, and a no hole 2-1/2 inch yoke. I've used the longeron yoke the most but had to borrow a four inch for a few things. The four inch no hole might be a good thing I just can't think of exactly where I would have used it. I would make sure and get a hand squeezer that uses the same yokes as the pneumatic squeezer as you will probably end up with one before it's over. Hope this helps.

I'm just starting the wings and....

Looking for advice on the best selection of yokes for a pneumatic squeezer when building a 9A ; Vans "recommended tools" suggests a 3" yoke, and reading through the forums there's frequent mention of the 4" no-hole and the Longeron yoke. Would these three cover all my building needs?

I'm about to send in the orders for Emp Kit and Tools, and living in Australia, want to get all the tools up front.

I have the 3" that comes with the pneumatic squeezer from Isham and in addition I purchased a longeron yoke and 4" no hole yoke. There were a few places on the Empennage that if I only had the 3" yoke I would have had to buck the rivets instead of squeezing them.

I wouldn't do without my other yokes. My next purchase is one of those fancy little tungsten bucking bars!

I recently purchased a 4" no hole yoke and find it very useful for getting into tight places like the tapering end of a rib flange. The additional reach also allows you to squeeze rivets in places where you would normally have to buck.

Ranked in order of use so far:
Longeron
No hole
Standard 1.5 inch (that came with my ebay squeezer - rarely used)

hand squeeze and pneumatic yokes

I have three pneumatic yokes and three hand squeezes but the Avery Tool hand squeeze is the only one that works with my pneumatic squeeze yokes.

I got my pneumatic squeezefrom Brown Tool.

Last edited:
Back