What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Wire Size?

Geico266

Well Known Member
Being electrically challenged I need to ask the question of VAF on what size wire to use.

Basically, I need to replace a 60 amp fusible link that I blew when I touched the hot side with a wrench. :eek: I know, the 1st lesson in aircraft maintenance is to disconnect the battery. Lesson learned.....again.:cool:

What I'm thinking is to replace it with a 60 amp breaker, leave the fusible link terminal in place to use the terminals for connections, and run power to the terminals through a new 60 amp breaker located on the panel so I can access it if needed.

Clear as mud? :confused:

Looking up some tables it appears 8 Gage would do it, but there are 2 values in the table. One value is "Max AMPS for Chassis Wiring" another is "Max AMPS for Power Transmission" So I'm confused.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Does size matter

You'll notice that 2 is used on the battery to things like the starter. Heavy surges warrant this. Also, the jumper between the relays in the plans are 2 pieces of copper bar but the buss bar is a single stock (0.125)

However, the 8 gauge is used from the alternator to a 60 amp breaker and 8 gauge is used around the panel for 60 amps jumpers for buss bars, etc.....

Last edited:
You'll notice that 2 is used on the battery to things like the starter. Heavy surges warrant this. Also, the jumper between the relays in the plans are 2 pieces of copper bar but the buss bar is a single stock (0.125)

However, the 8 gauge is used from the alternator to a 60 amp breaker and 2 gauge is used around the panel for 60 amps jumpers for buss bars, etc.....

So #8 wire will do it? It will run from the firewall to the panel is all, about 5' round trip. I would hate to look like I had installed a smoke system. :eek:

Last edited:
AWG8 = 57 Amp max?

"AWG8 wire is good up to 57 Amp, continuous duty, based on 150?C wire insulation ratings, for short wires".

This is from an "Exp. Bus technical bulletin" I have picked up somewhere from the internet, I can't remember where I got it from, though.

Since I am not sure how long a "short wire" is and I have a 60 Amp. alternator and I have 60 Amp. fuses for those big lines, I am going to install AWG6 to the alternator and to the main bus. Better be safe than sorry.

You may do as you please, it's your plane.

Regards, Tonny.

57 Amp continous duty

If my alternator was having to supply 57 amps continuous duty, it would need it's own exhaust system!!!!!

I know what you mean though.

why don't you just reinstall the fuseble link?

I would if I could find one! I cannot find them anywhere, even at NAPA.

Also, why is it the 60 AMP fuses in the store are so small compaired to the fusible link? The link is .034 thick x .400, while the fuses at the auto store are .020 x .100 at best?

Last edited:
Back