What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Wing Spar?

Naruto

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to study the plans for the wings and would like some heads up on whether it matters which spar I pick for the left or right wing. I can't really tell the difference or find any markings telling me which is the left or right wing spar.

It matters. On the RV8 spars there is a bevel on the root end of the bars which denotes the side that goes "up" and the flange points to the aft of the wing. I don't know if or how that applies to the RV7 but I suspect something similar does apply. I believe I found this information on the prints.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD flying
RV8 Tanks
Northfield, MN

On the -7 the beveled, tapered or angled bar (whatever you want to call it) at the root is on the bottom side of the wing. Please double-check DWGs 10A and 11, and please be 100% sure before you do anything.

There should also be some serial numbers insrcibed into the spars towards the root which should indicate the which side is which. Maybe you don't have them, but here's where they were on mine (hard to see, but upper left and lower center). In this case, the "L" at the end signifies this is the left spar.
051025_002.jpg

Last edited:
caution my freind

they can be built upside down..and you dont want that...the bevels go down and flanges face aft. someone i read about (here maybe) built them left with the right and right with the left and when trying to assemble the plane a call to vans revealed the problem. :eek: :eek:

An easy way to tell is to look for the pre-punched holes where the inspection panels go. They should be on the bottom, facing aft.

Yikes - I'm OK too

I went down to check the Van's numbers on the spars and they are OK. I purchased a wing kit with the left wing completed - they used the correct spar. :)

I wonder how many have built it wrong or did two right wings. On the brightside, you'd have a good excuse to build a second airplane down the road.

Ok, I went and look at both spars and saw the numbers with the marking indicating which one is the left and right spar. I seriously thing that if they weren't premarked from Vans, then it would be difficult to figure out which is which. Once I looked at the drawings, it is pretty obvious what is the correct orientation for the spars. Now for the dumb question, I assume the left wing is to my left when sitting in the cockpit and the right wing it to my right. Or is the left wing to my left when facing the prop? I think I just confused my self. :confused:

Last edited:
If there were no markings those inspection panel holes will help you as said but should I check my eyes but the upper stiffener leading side of the spar is a bit thicker than the lower one? I remember measuring it as well but wouldn't bet on it now.

I assume the left wing is to my left when sitting in the cockpit and the right wing it to my right. Or is the left wing to my left when facing the prop? I think I just confused my self. :confused:
Just another good reason for using "Port & Starboard" instead of "Left & Right"!

Back