What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Way Is Up?

JoeG

Well Known Member
Before I ask this, I will make the disclaimer that I am an engineer. I realize this can be a deficit when building this airplane (i.e. every little thing has to be perfect), but I'm making do. As Ken, at Vans, told me on another issue; "It's just an airplane. It's not any more complex than a tractor. Just build the darn thing"

So, with that caveat, here is the Question...

Question: Which side of the HS-710 and HS-714 did you put the AN470 shop heads on?

The plans and directions remind the builder that the inboard most holes are counter-sunk and that the Flush shop heads on those rivets should be on the aft side of the 702.

View AA on DWG3 shows a front view of the 710-714-702 intersection where the rivets are called out. With that and the aesthetics factor (Forward side will be visible after assembly), I'm inclined to put the 470 shop heads on the forward surface. What think you?

Thanks,

Engineer to engineer...

it doesn't matter. It'll all be covered by the empennage fairing in the end. Do it the easiest way to set the rivets with the best possible outcome (i.e. whatever works best).

After a while, Van's statement will start to make sense. We're not building a space shuttle, either.

I believe we're talking about the two front spar stiffeners, right? The only reason the flush rivets are called out and go on the aft side of the spar is so that the front of the VS attach lays flush against the back of the HS front spar (look at the preview plans somewhere in the fuselage section....you'll see what I mean).

re: which way to put the AN470 rivets. In general, somewhere between "it doesn't matter" and "put the manufactured head on the thinner material side" lies the truth. In this case I think you'll find that even with a longeron yoke, if you try to put the shop heads on the 702 side, you will have a very difficult time getting the squeezer set on the head of the rivet, and you certainly won't be able to see what you're doing.

With the shop head on the 710/714 side, it's a piece of cake and as a side benifit it gets the manufactured head on the thin material, for what it's worth.

Rivet Heads

Yes, what John said :)
Shop heads on thicker material, placement for easiest setting or it doesn't matter.

Back