What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which vertical power VP-X Sport or Pro

Bastien

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,
I will install a VP-X (Christmas present) in my RV8 and I have few questions :
- Should I better take the VP-X sport or pro (I have dual EFIS, dual batteries, dual LSE)?
-I already have the RV8 wiring harness from Van's, should I take the connector only kit from Vertical Power or the Wiring harness plus connectors?
-Any issues with the VP-X?

Thanks

Merry christmas and happy new year

Hi everyone,
I will install a VP-X (Christmas present) in my RV8 and I have few questions :
- Should I better take the VP-X sport or pro (I have dual EFIS, dual batteries, dual LSE)?
-I already have the RV8 wiring harness from Van's, should I take the connector only kit from Vertical Power or the Wiring harness plus connectors?
-Any issues with the VP-X?

The answer is simple, Pro. Why? Dual processors versus single, dual power suppleis versus single, plus additional circuit support. These are a must for dual LSE support.

First you need to download the installation manual and read it throughly before making any decisions. You'll need to think through exactly how you want to implement your LSE and dual batteries. Marc is not a fan of dual battery solutions, but it is feasible. There are two options in the manual. My implementation is actually a combination of both dual batteriy solutions. Email me for specifics.

The Van's harness is useless if you go with the VP-X. Almost nothing to salvage. I built my own harness and it's not difficult and can save you some money. However, you'll need the special crimper that VP will rent or sell you. If you use their harness, some flexibility is reduced due to the preselected AWG sizing on each circuit.

The only issue that I've run into is I wish that were another half dozen circuits. But there are ways in the manual that allows you to easily work around that shortcoming.

bob

Not sure if you are already aware but VP provides a Electical System Planner on their website which lays out everything you will need, the size wire needed for each system, which VP box would be more benificial as well as a pin diagram on how to wire your VP box. Give it a shot if you have not already.

http://planner.verticalpower.com/

-david

The VP-X planner allows you to do some "what if" planning scenarios. Jut set it up for the Sport, and if it all fits then that can be a consideration. You can then set it for "Pro" and re-assign the power pins (it can do it automatically).

Based on your setup, my gut says the VP-X Pro is what you need.

Back