What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Tools?

flyingchuck

Wondering about extra tools not included in the RV toolkits...

Went to Harbor Freight today for browsing and have a couple questions:

This was my first time in a Harbor Freight store and I have to say, I wasn't impressed with the quality of most of their tools... however... there are some things that looked good:

Air Compressors... how big is needed? Are there certain brands to avoid?

Drill Press... saw a couple nice table mounted ones... any brands to avoid? keyless chuck?

Bench Grinders... brands to avoid? how big?

Any other recommended tools to buy?

Trying to stock up on tools over the next few months before I'm ready to start the build. Any thoughts are appreciated. :D

Your questions are pretty general and answered thousand of times. So go through the basics:

http://rvhotline.expercraft.com/articles/tools.html

By doing search to this sub-forum (tools) with words "which tools" you get pretty many good topics to start with like:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=21764
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=22238
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=13601
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=8156

Hope you get start with these and you sure will find more is you search just for compressor, grider(s), (drill)press etc... Still have open questions? :eek:

Tools, Tools, Tools

Charlie,
A couple of points...
1. Buy the best you can afford. Good tools make for a better build. That said, Harbor Freight quality is sufficient for most power tools you'll need (drill press, bench grinder, belt sander, band saw,etc.) as well as air tools (die grinders, paint gun for primer, etc). Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. are also good places to buy these tools.

2. The bigger the compressor, the better. You'll be much happier (and so will your family/neighbors) if you DON'T buy an oiless compressor - they are very noisy and tend not to last as long as a compressor with an oil sump. I suggest at least a 30 gal tank unless you are going to paint, then you'd want at least a 60 gal. Also get 220 volt if you have the wiring to support it.

As a fifty+ year old tinkerer, I already had a bunch of tools, but I've managed to spend another $5000.00 or so on building up my tool supply. I made it a point to look for tool recommendations on every builders web site I visited. I know there will be more specialized tools to buy as I continue my build (electrical, plumbing, painting, etc.) Tools are part of the fun of building! :D

:D No further questions, your honor. :D

I should have phrased the question... any helpful links for a newbie?

Thanks so much for the links, it will take me quite awhile to dig through them!

Don,

Thanks for the info... I definitely want quality tools... this will become my mantra, "gonna keep 'em forever, honey!"

Tools

Chuck,
Check out your local EAA chapter; they may have tools you can use (for example, our local chapter has a drill press, etc.).

For air compressors check out your local Tractor Supply.

Many of the benchtop tools for sale at Sears/Lowes/Home Depot etc. are designed for woodworking. This includes most of the bandsaws, drill presses, etc. Some of these will work fine for metalworking as noted in the threads cited above. Band saws, grinders, and belt sanders are good dual-purpose machines and it's hard to go wrong with the Delta/Hitachi/Craftsman level of quality for your project.

If you decide to buy new, I recommend a stop at the Grizzly tool warehouse (www.grizzly.com) in Springfield, MO. They have one of the largest selections in the Midwest and a walk through their display area will give you a good point of reference regardless of where you end up buying your tools.

You'll appreciate a drill press capable of really slow speeds since this makes hole cutting much safer. Grizzly has a heavy-duty model (G7944 for floor model; $265+freight or G7943 for the benchtop model; $240+freight) that will slow to 140 rpm. Both of the Grizzly models have received favorable magazine reviews and the benchtop model should fit in your 172 if you watch your weight and balance...:D

You don't need to buy everything at once. For the empennage I used the bench grinder, 1" belt sander, and air compressor (for air drill, small grinders and spray gun). For the wings I'll need to use a drill press. A bandsaw will make life easier cutting tank mounts, etc. but is not essential-the work can be done with a hacksaw.

Good hunting,
Mike

Misc Tools

I found that I used the bench grinder $59 from HF with scotchbrite wheels, the belt sander from Sears $79, the drill press from HF $69, and a HF 21 gallon air compressor oiled for $149!

I bought the RV tool kit second hand from a VAF member as part of the empennage deal. The only thing I'm finding now is that I need a hand squeezer in addition to the included pneumatic squeezer I got. Plus, I need one or two more squeezer Yokes, like the 4" yoke and the larger opening one, I forgot what its called...

freddie

Wondering about extra tools not included in the RV toolkits...

Went to Harbor Freight today for browsing and have a couple questions:

This was my first time in a Harbor Freight store and I have to say, I wasn't impressed with the quality of most of their tools... however... there are some things that looked good:

Air Compressors... how big is needed? Are there certain brands to avoid?

Drill Press... saw a couple nice table mounted ones... any brands to avoid? keyless chuck?

Bench Grinders... brands to avoid? how big?

Trying to stock up on tools over the next few months before I'm ready to start the build. Any thoughts are appreciated. :D

Last edited:
Charlie -

Both Tractor Supply and Northern Tool have great deals on 60 gal vertical oiled Ingersoll Rand compressors. I think they might even have free shipping. I have $780 tied up in buying the compressor, hardware to mount it, a 50' hose reel, 25' of 10-2 Romex, fittings, regulators - basically everything I needed to get it up and going. It's a great brand and a great compressor. You really need 60+ gallons.

IR compressor

Charlie -

Both Tractor Supply and Northern Tool have great deals on 60 gal vertical oiled Ingersoll Rand compressors. I think they might even have free shipping. I have $780 tied up in buying the compressor, hardware to mount it, a 50' hose reel, 25' of 10-2 Romex, fittings, regulators - basically everything I needed to get it up and going. It's a great brand and a great compressor. You really need 60+ gallons.

Yeah, I just bought my 60 gal IR from Northern Tool. Same price as Tractor Supply but with free shipping and no tax, saved me about $65.00. Should last for several builds. :D

Back