What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

which tool for heat shrink

fehdxl

Well Known Member
Curious...what tool are you all using to shrink the heat shrink around a wire?
Thx!
-Jim

Electric heat gun whenever possible.

Soldering iron tip, Bic lighter or other as needed.....

Here's what I use:

Ungar1095.jpg

Along with this:

UngarReflector.jpg

The reflector helps focus the heat for heat shrink, providing nice even heat and speeding up the process.

About $60 for both.

Thanks guys! I don't have a heat-gun, so I've been using a lighter. Didn't seem like the best technique; but you all confirmed it's a commonly used alternate means.

Fly safe!

-Jim

In places you can not reach effectively with a heat gun, I have used the $1.99 long extended lighter. It worked when I could not use my heat gun with a rectangular end fitting.

I would be careful using a lighter. I have been working Avionics int the USAF for 30 year. I have seen to many time when a light is used the heat shrink gets over heated and becomes brittle.

Works great ...and goes as low as $12 when they have a sale.

I second Harbor Freight. I purchase this a couple weeks ago to have a second heat gun. My son was borrowing mine for his senior project, so he got an early Chritmas present.

It's currently on sale for $13.99, when applied with a 20% off coupon that they've been running every week in the Sunday paper, that's not a bad price.

image_11971.jpg

I would be careful using a lighter. I have been working Avionics int the USAF for 30 year. I have seen to many time when a light is used the heat shrink gets over heated and becomes brittle.

Welcome to VAF, Mike! You've no doubt already discovered what a wealth of info exists here, and with your experience, you're well equipped to add to it. Good luck on starting your build.

--
Stephen

Thanks Stephen!!!

I have my plans in hand and plan on my tail kit delivery on April Fool's Day. I suspect that is the best day to represent my build. :D I think I will be giving more then I take, but I am looking forward to the journey! :p

Back