What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Pitot do you recommend?

shiney

Well Known Member
Having to think ahead on purchases, I will be ready to start work on my QB wings in about two weeks. I have done my "to do list" and the pitot thing is now in question. I am highly likely to go with AFS EFIS and AOA, so does anyone using this combo have any suggestions on their current pitot setup.

Thanks fellas

Shiney :)

Not a recommendation, but something to think about

I just went through this a few months ago. I don't have any recommendations, but I do have a few comments.

I came to the conclusion that if you aren't going to use a heated pitot (or Dynon AOA), then there really isn't any need to install anything other than the stock (Van's) pitot. In my case, I had already purchased and prepared the wings for the SafeAir1 pitot mount, so I ended up using a Dynon unheated pitot, but I won't be using the AOA portion (AFS planned). If I had to do it again, I would probably go with the stock set-up and save myself $250. As usual, YMMV.

Yes.. AFS AOA doesn't use pitot tube for its input... it's got separate ports in top and bottom of the wing

AFS

Ok, so for the AFS AOA, do you install the ports during the QB wing construction, or come back to them when installing the avionics when woking on the fuse?

It doesn't matter.. You can buy the "A" kit (hardware only) which includes the ports.. then get the rest later when you're working on the panel... or you can wait until that point and get the whole system at once.

The "A" kit is $400. FWIW, I've decided not to part with the $ until I really need it. It doesn't look at all difficult to install later. It goes in the leading edge section of the wing and the tubing can be routed to the aft side of the spar by passing it through the lightening holes in the spar webs. But what do I know, I haven't done it yet. ;)

Last edited:
Check with AFS

RV7Factory said:
...I had already purchased and prepared the wings for the SafeAir1 pitot mount, so I ended up using a Dynon unheated pitot, but I won't be using the AOA portion (AFS planned). If I had to do it again, I would probably go with the stock set-up and save myself $250. As usual, YMMV.

I'm on the fence trying to decide between the two units. and this is the same pitot set-up I've got so I pm'd AFS. I believe you can use the Dynon pitot with the AFS 3500 AOA.

Yes and No

For AS Yes, For AOA No.

With an AFS EFIS, you can use a Dynon pitot for airspeed, but not for the AOA function. As Radomir stated, the AFS AOA uses pressure ports on the top and bottom of the wings to take readings, while the Dynon takes takes two pressure readings at the pitot. My understanding is that the method each used by each to calculate AOA is different. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall this being discussed earlier or elswhere. If the AFS folks say otherwise, please let me (us) know. Thanks.

I've got the AFS AOA 'A' kit installed and went with the Gretz Aero composite heated pitot. I haven't flown yet and already regret that decision. Oh well ... it'll work.

-Rick

Btw, with the GA pitot I had to reduce the base of it a bit to get it to fit into the mount. That caused the hard points to have less grip and when I screwed them in place the hard points turned out (they weren't deep enough or have enough grip). That PITA, plus the hassle of mounting the control module out in the wing made me think twice.

Last edited:
Back