What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which micrometer do I need for O-320 rebuild?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
My precision measuring equipment thus far consists of a 6" metal ruler and a dial caliper. It's served well so far, but I'm interested in rebuilding an engine (with help/supervision) and would like some recommendation on which size and type (inside/outside) of micrometer to buy. There are lots on ebay, and some come with measuring standards.

Mahlon, are you out there? :D

Thanks for any info,

dave

You don't have to buy anything.

If you'll have professional help, they'll probably have their own micrometers. But if you need micrometers to measure the tolerances of cylinder bore, taper, crankcase bore, rod and main journals, cam journals, etc. I'll loan you my complete set of Mitutoyo micrometers. All you have to do is return them after a few weeks of use. I have everything you need. The only thing I don't have is telescoping gauges. Write my name down for future referance when it's time.

Dave,

A micrometer is a very useful tool to use in aircraft sheet metal construction. For maximum hole quality, you can quickly measure the diameter of any fastener and armed with that information, drill the hole to optimum size. A micrometer and drill index chart practically go hand in hand. Example: Most blind fasteners are not as strong as solid rivets and can benefit from optimum hole quality. Many builders simply drill a #30 hole for use with blind fasteners. If you used a micrometer to measure the diameter of many of the blind fasteners Van's ships with its kits, you will quickly discover many types measure out at .125 so by referring to a drill index chart will see a 1/8" drill bit is the better choice and will produce a snugger, tighter fit in sheet metal.

You can use a micrometer to measure the diameter of individual bolts and can then confidently drill and ream its hole knowing it will be the correct size. If you are really a stickler for precison, you can measure that hole you just drilled with a ball gauge and the micrometer will tell you for sure if it is the correct size or not.

With a micrometer, you can quickly determine the thickness of any skin or sheet metal part or stack up of sheet metal parts. This can be helpful when fabricating a shim or doing a repair. I'd wager most people would have difficulty eyeballing the difference between .025 and .032 sheet or .032 and 040 aluminum sheet. Why guess? Use a micrometer.

You have a drill bit or reamer in your hand but the identifying marks on it are obscured or worn away and you don't know for sure what size it is.....use a micrometer!

Somebody walks into your shop with a well used screw or bolt in hand and asks "What size is this?" With a micrometer, you can quickly determine the answer in seconds.

I recommend you purchase and routinely use a digital 1" micrometer. You will not be dissapointed and its utility and ease of use will go a long way towards helping you build even higher quality into your project.

I'll loan you my complete set of Mitutoyo micrometers. All you have to do is return them after a few weeks of use. I have everything you need. The only thing I don't have is telescoping gauges. Write my name down for future referance when it's time.

Thanks!!! I'll be keeping your name for sure. I really appreciate it!

dave

Ditto on what Rick6a said about the zero to one inch micrometer. It comes in very handy when trying to determine the sizes of rivits, bolts, screws, and drill bits.

Back