What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Logbook

John Tierney

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Dumb, amateur builder question. I replaced my alternator with a different manufacturer, and went from internally regulated to a separate, newly installed external voltage regulator. Does the Alternator replacement get noted in the Engine Log or Airframe Log? The VR I'm guessing is Airframe.

Similarly, what about Engine baffle changes.

Is there a definitive text that lays out where things get logged?

You understand that there is no ‘definitive text’, because, for EAB, you aren’t legally required to log any maintenance stuff at all! Likewise, the two or three (if separate prop book) book system is by custom, not regulation. Now, it makes very good sense to keep records, and records that most will understand. I believe the usual and customary answers to your questions are, ‘airframe book’. Personally, I think too much is better than too little. e.g., if I did baffle work, I might put it in the airframe book, but also put a note in the engine log (“baffle around #3 changed 1/1/23 see airframe book that date”).

For my plane, I would put it in the Airframe log book.

The way I think about is: If I decided to sell the engine, what would should be in the Engine log book? Accessories, like the alternator and governor may or may not stay with the engine. Baffles on the other hand would definitely stay with the airframe.

And I agree with Bob, putting entries in multiple log books can’t hurt.

Last edited:
If you want to get into the weeds do an internet search for ATA Chapters. It breaks down all of the systems by Airframe Systems, Structures, propellor and power plant.

My certified C180 has both engine parts manuals and airframe. Everything except the engine itself and its internals are airframe, so I base my logbooks on that.

And plan to use the same approach with the RV-3B I'm building.

The caveat is that for things attached to the engine, I also put those in the engine logbook. There, I'm thinking that this helps make things easier for a future owner. A bit of a contradiction but it works for me.

Also, changes get logged in the equipment list, a spreadsheet. I've already got one going for the -3B.

Dave

A local DAR suggested just having one log where everything is recorded. The advantage is you only have to keep up with one logbook. Another advantage is that everything you have done is in chronological order in one place. The disadvantage is if you lose that log, well...

A local DAR suggested just having one log where everything is recorded. The advantage is you only have to keep up with one logbook. Another advantage is that everything you have done is in chronological order in one place. The disadvantage is if you lose that log, well...

All fine until you sell your engine and get a new one....

To add to the good responses already....

If you have something and you're not sure where to log it (such as engine baffles) put it in both. There's nothing that says you can't put the same entry in both the airframe and engine log. Will make finding it easier later on.

I do a single electronic logbook in excel that then I print out individual entries on sticky back paper and paste them in the engine and/or airframe individual hardcover logbooks. Excel file is one stop chronological maintenance record and available to me anywhere on my phone in google drive. Individual hard copy traditional logbooks satisfy all the traditional uses for logbooks.

Back