What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which IO-360 engine to buy? Help

gabb

im building a rv7a slider,ive all ready got my finishing kit to suit the IO-360M1B and a senseinich 85'' fixedpitch cruize prop,so what would be the best product to buy?????

regards glenn

HP

Go with the one that has the most horse power:D I have a 200hp in my 8 and the only regret I have is that I didn't go with an IO540:D I've heard the cons against the extra weight but when I fly with the 180hp's I'm glad I went with 200hp.;) YMMV

There are several choices

Van's has that engine for:

IO-360 180HP
Part Number = EA IO-360-M1B RT
Price = $33390.00

Which is way too much money. If you're going to stick with the 180 HP fixed pitch metal prop (the parallel valve M-2 horizontal induction, no bump in the bottom cowl) then you might check out Aero Sport Power.

http://www.aerosportpower.com/prices.htm#NewEngines

$24,500. Fixed pitch.

Maybe you could bump it to the IO-375 for a few more bucks..take a look.

I don't think you should do a 200 HP with a fixed pitch prop. All of those are angle valve engines which are larger and more $. Also, to take advantage of those ponies you would want a constant speed prop. More big $.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Here's Vans: sometimes they also have a good discount around Sun&Fun
Experimental IO-360 180HP
Part Number = EA XIO-360-M1B RT
Price = $25300.00

Bob H @ Eagle Engines, Bart @ AeroSport Power, or Barrett all have comparable engines and pricing and will treat you fair.

thanks for your feed back,i will be using the aircraft for long distance flight,across australia.

my first choice was always the XIO-360 lycoming from vans..but i here aero sports product is better with abit more horse power,can someone tell me more about this??
and whats with the IO-375, i understand its the same foot print as the IO-360..

regards glenn

Go With Bart at Aero Sport Engines. You would be hard pressed to find a better person or company to deal with. He has a lot of his engines in Australia. Jon has flown around the world several times using his engines.

Aerosport Are Top Notch

Glenn,

My IO-360M1B Aerosport Engine is due to arrive here in Perth mid this month. I cannot recommend Sue and Bart highly enough. Their service has been unbelievable and all reports on their engines have been positive. Come and have a look when it arrives if you like. I am north of the river in Karrinyup.

Rob

Let me chime in too. In my slider rv7a I put a new TMX IO360 from Mattituck 180 hp (can use auto gas if needed). Hollow crank but currently set up for fixed pitch. Beautiful engine, runs perfect and it uses genuine Lycoming cylinders, so no AD issues. I am very happy with it.
Regards

justplanecrazy,Rob..im in quinns rocks.id be really keen to come and have a look at your engine and project. my mobile is 0410793260.but im offshore until the 27th jan..then home for 3 weeks.maybe you could leave me your phone number and i could give you a call sometime.

regards glenn

ECI

Another great choice is ECI. Americas Engines in (collinsville ok) Tulsa has always had great customer service and lots of ECI powered RV's flying.

Pat Stewart

Based on what I've read the IO-375 is a parallel valve 360 with a stroked crank (or possibly a new crank with a longer stroke) and "low compression" pistons (or pistons that would be low compression if fitted to a 360). The reduced height of the pistons makes room for the longer stroke without taller cylinders (and of course the longer stroke brings the compression back up).

TMX360

Put two TMX360's in two RV7, runs smooth and plenty of power, Used Van's FP props on both. Good performance for me. Have you noticed how close the price between IO and carbs. is now. Seems carb. prices have sky rocketted.

Put two TMX360's in two RV7, runs smooth and plenty of power, Used Van's FP props on both. Good performance for me. Have you noticed how close the price between IO and carbs. is now. Seems carb. prices have sky rocketted.

can I ask what kind of cruise numbers you get with the FP?

can I ask what kind of cruise numbers you get with the FP?

I sold the 7 2yrs ago but was getting better cruise than my 6A with FP and it gets 180mph cruise easy on a 160hp. As I recall the 7 did better than 190mph. The important thing is it did well in the heat of Vegas.

Lycoming Thunderbolt

get a genuine lycoming thunderbolt experimental engine ordered just as you like it. about $25,000. roller lifters, flowed heads, balanced, ect.on my second engine. first went 3,150 hrs. have consumed about 28,000 gallons :confused: of mixed auto fuel / 100LL in the past 10 years. fly more. turbo

Last edited:
Genuine Lycoming next time ...

My RV7A has been flying for just under 12 months. In that time I have discovered that ECI Titan cylinders run hotter than Superior or Lycoming which can be an issue with RV's. In the last few years we have seen Superior go broke and re-appear. ECI has had numerous recalls on cylinders.

When you buy an engine from a shop that just assembles engine parts there will often be two parties to deal with in the event that you need your warranty - the builder and the manufacturer of the parts.

IMO - one thing you really need to consider when purchasing an engine is the company's ability to make good on a warranty claim. If it is just one failed engine pretty much all of them will put you right. However, what if they have 100 engines with faulty cylinders or crankshafts and the manufacturer won't or can't replace them?

Many of these engine shops have excellent reputations and they do great work. For many people that is enough, but I?d suggest none of them would survive a situation like I describe above. Before Superior went broke many of us would not have even considered the chances of this happening, Today you would have to give it a second thought.

Many people make a big deal out of ECI?s anti-rust cylinder technology. How much benefit that is I don?t know. Traditionally the camshaft has been the area of concern on these engines but now everyone has roller cams, so camshaft and lifter issues should be greatly reduced. I do know I have to replace all four cylinders in my engine before 350 hours thanks to ECI, and my hanger mate currently has four cylinders that must be retired at 2000 hours. So for me, the promise of a better engine has not been realised in ECI.

Knowing what I know now, if I did things over again I would buy the genuine Lycoming Experimental from Vans. If you have a need for your warranty there is only ?one throat to choke?. Lycoming engines have been largely free of the issues that have plagued the other suppliers for the last 3-5 years and to me they seem like they are here to stay as a company. Also, Van's engines fit with their FF kit. If you want to get in the air quickly and cheaply this is the way to go.

I'd reject any engine unless it has a warranty that begins at first flight. Unless you have built a few times it will take you longer than you think to finish the airframe and you don't want an engine without warranty for your first flight.

Cheers
Richard

Back