What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which intercom is the preferred?

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
The intelli VOX portable intercom( PS Engr Aerocom III) I have used for a while now is becoming annoying with frequent open mic operations. Since the unit has no squelch control about all you can do is look for the item that's keying the mic ie vent, air leaks etc. Tried to use the built-in intercom in the IC A210 but found that the max squelch settings were still not enough. What intercom do you find that works good in the hi noise cockpits? I'm using a Zulu ll and a second good quality ANR headset in a RV 9. Don't believe mine's any louder than the rest of the fleet!

Last edited:
Dennis,

I've been flying with the Sigtronics 200S since 2007 and have been very happy with it.

It does not require shielded wires and I haven't had any interference.

For some reason, everyone seems to think this needs shielded wires but my experience has been very positive.

As a side note, I installed an audio jack on my panel and play music through it via my iPod.

For audio input from my Dynon EFIS I simply wired their audio out into the iComm and it works great!

The one I used is the built in intercom in the mgl v6 radio. Works very well for me and was able to eliminate a separate piece of equipment. It has vox and vogad. I use the vogad settings and found that, the beginning of speech is not lost, like is typical with vox.

Bird

If you want stereo with stereo music input capability, then the best stand-alone intercom for an RV on the market is the PS Engineering PM3000. If you wish to forgo stereo capability, then the PM1000-II or PM1200 are the best mono units. I installed the PM3000 in my RV-6 and it works extremely well. It has separate squelch gate circuits for each mic input which I consider an essential feature in an intercom for a noisy RV.

Intercom

If you want stereo with stereo music input capability, then the best stand-alone intercom for an RV on the market is the PS Engineering PM3000. If you wish to forgo stereo capability, then the PM1000-II or PM1200 are the best mono units. I installed the PM3000 in my RV-6 and it works extremely well. It has separate squelch gate circuits for each mic input which I consider an essential feature in an intercom for a noisy RV.

Yeah, what he said.

The Dynon SV-INTERCOM-2S is a 2 place stereo intercom that you might want to consider as well. It has a great manually adjustable VOX with independent gates for both microphones, as well as a slew of extra inputs, including stereo music and specific EFIS inputs. It has been tested and used in plenty of RVs and works great.

At $295 it's also very reasonably priced.

If you just want this fixed, why not contact PS engineering and see what it costs to get it fixed. They have great customer support.

Dan

As a whole you're not going to beat the PM-3000 as the best intercom on the market. Not only does it have all the functions people have alluded to in previous posts about other brands, but even more. It's a long proven intercom that pretty much sets the bar, and it's supported by a good company that only does one thing - Intercoms!

Just my 2 cents as usual. I sell others, but I use PSE. It costs a little more than some, but like everything price is what you pay, value is what you get.

Cheers,
Stein

Intercom

I was needing an intercom not long ago and looked at all and decided to go with a Garmin 240 for just a little more than a top of the line intercom in doing that I solved a future problem when I add another radio and it has a great intercom built in with lots of other benefits.
Bob

update

Talked with Mark at PS Engr couple days ago and he recommended to use a Mic Muff from Oregon Aero. I order two and in the mean time homebuilt one to try. Amazed at the difference over just the foam sleeve. The open mic operations are gone. Thanks PSE. The better looking ones will arrive in a box in couple of days. The Aerocom III now works great in a loud cockpit.

Back