What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

which intake air filter?

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
OK I've read the posts about MP loss, seen the nice job DanH did, and also contemplated the Bower air housing(I like, but not sure I can afford it or if it will fit). But while working on my James cowling tonight I noticed, Things are kinda tight in there. I have a Sam James cowl, IO-360, Forward facing Superior Cold sump and AFP injection.

RV-7build393.jpg

So my question is: What fits? or what filter should I get if I want to build my own box? Anyone with James Cowl running a AFP on a Superior cold sump?

progress pic
RV-7build395.jpg

Bower will fit

The Bower setup should work. I have an IO-360 with forward facing sump and SJ Cowl. My throttle body is longer than yours because of the FADEC setup for duel MP sensors. I ended up using a smaller filter housing available from Bower. Give him a call.

I have the same set up on my -4 (minus the 360, I have a 320) and went with the Bower's system. We have been working on the installation for a few months. It fits and I can give you all the information you need. He has my sam james cowl this week and is making a female mold of the lower scoop. The system is very easy to install and he works with you all the way until you are satisfied. BTW, he has different size canisters.

CIMG3849.JPG
CIMG3851.JPG

CIMG3852.JPG
CIMG3853.JPG

The Bower setup should work. I have an IO-360 with forward facing sump and SJ Cowl. My throttle body is longer than yours because of the FADEC setup for duel MP sensors. I ended up using a smaller filter housing available from Bower. Give him a call.

Jason, how much does your manifold pressure drop when you close the butterfly at full throttle?

See past thread on my filter/ram system

I posted a couple pictures and a story in a past thread.

I use the same ram air and conical K&N filter as the Bower system, but instead of pulling air for the filter from the lower cowl plenum through reed valves (which has 3 disadvantages) I provided an air source from the upper cooling plenum to the filter.

My filtered air source looses only 0.3 inches Hg at wide open throttle, 5000 ft cruise at 2500 rpm, compared with the straight unfiltered ram air source. Some of that is from the filter itself, some is from the intake hole in the upper cooling plenum, which is just a flanged hose attachment, no radiused transition or anything. I could probably get a small improvement by putting a radiused intake transition at the hole (note DanH's comment in my old post)

The Bower system pulls air from the lower cowl plenum, which is warm, has already lost a bunch of pressure going through the cylinder fins, etc. and there is also a pressure loss through the reed valves. These losses represent something like a full inch or more of manifold pressure drop.

If you think of the filtered air source as an emergency alternate air, then the losses are not important. If you are taking off from a short dirt strip at altitude with hills to climb over, you should worry about the power drop using the filtered source.

The other way to go is to stick with the standard fiberglass duct from the upper cooling plenum to the fuel servo with a rectangular filter box in the front floor of the cooling plenum. As Dan Checkaway showed, if you do a good job of this with radiused transitions into the filter, you only loose something like 0.25 inches Hg compared to full ram. Of course you are loosing this all the time, you never get to bypass the filter and get full ram. 0.25 inches Hg is probably about 3 Hp. But you get to keep the nice clean lines of the cowl with no ram intake, saves a bunch of glass work and looks nice. If I ever build another one, thats what I'm going to do.

Thanks guys.

Jason, I should have looked you up when I was in Ft Collins last month.

It would be nice to have Full MP and filtered air always, but not sure how to do that within the space available and my setup. The Bower system appears doable, even giving up <1" MP, but the cost is a tough pill to swallow.

Dan and Steve. Do you have any part numbers for good flowing filters? in case I want to roll my own housing.

Axel, thanks for the pics. Helps me visualize which direction to go.

I don't look at it as losing 1" MP, but instead gaining. I had just filtered air prior to the ram air system and that gave me the same MP I get with the Bower and the ram air closed. Also, I am using the smaller canister... no way the regular size would fit. If you can fit the larger canister you will obviously be able to use a larger filter and may not see so much drop off in MP when the ram air is closed.

Jason

Last edited:
I don't look at it as losing 1" MP, but instead gaining. I had just filtered air prior to the ram air system and that gave me the same MP I get with the Bower and the ram air closed....

What sort of filtered system were you using previously?

What sort of filtered system were you using previously?

It was a custom setup designed/built by Jim Ward that had a spring loaded alternate air door that would open in case the filter became obstructed. It used a K&N filter (part number RC3870-4 I believe). That particular filter flows at 450 cfm. I had issues with the door wanting to open during flight (even with extra springs on it). I also was concerned that the spring could be ingested. I then moved to the Bower system which fit with no modifications to the cowl or canister.

Jason

Thanks Jason. Obviously not a very good filtered system. Any photos, and do you still have that old RC3870 filter? Could you measure the depth of the pleats?

Back