What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Flight Planning software?

tomwebster

Well Known Member
Folks,
In reading here about FliteStar, I would like some input on
which flight planning software I should buy.
My old 'Destination Direct' won't work anymore.

I've looked at the EAA Aeroplanner, and Fliteprep's
GoldenEagle as well as AOPA and Airplan for software.
They all seem O.K., but I would like something that will
run locally with out an internet connection.

I'm leaning towards FliteStar.

Thanks for any information,
Tom

Flight Planning by Seattle Avionics

I've used a program called Voyager made by Seattle Avionics for a couple years and really like it. They have a free version you can download. You can get full interactive weather with an internet connection but for planning it's not required. It used to be a little slow on the graphics but they just revamped the program and its quite fast with great graphics. You can view your route overlaid on scanned VFR charts or on a more graphical topo map. It's quite an impressive program so you really just have to try it out to see all the great features. I have the complete flight bag version of the program but you can just buy what you need if you want more than the free version.

http://www.seattleavionics.com/

Tom,

I second Voyager by Seattle Avionics. If you want to test drive, stop by. I've got the IFR subscription with all the charts.

bob

AOPA flight planner it's free and always up to date with the latest GCA's (Government Confiscated Airspace) You will need an internet connection, save all the money you will spend for all the others and buy a laptop.

Bill

Flying software

I have used Flitesoft for years and love it. Always accurate, sectional, low and high level charts are alway current. Ties in with weather beautifully.
Price is right and renewels are reasonable. Updates every month.

Chris
RV6A
613LE

DUATS Golden Eagle

DUATS's Golden Eagle basic is free and runs on the Windows PC without an internet connection. Does even more with the connection. Try it first, then if you are not satisfied, spend $$ to either upgrade it or get a competitor. I am very satisfied with it. Note that the terrain files don't install in the initial download but you can copy the "common" folder from another computer where they are installed and it will recognize them. PM me if you need details.

EAA FlightPlanner

I prefer the FlightPlanner EAA version... and it's even free with your EAA membership.

I find it much easier to use than the AOPA software, but as usual, YMMV...:)

gil A

Flightsoft Professional

Much less expensive that Flightstar!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used FlightStar for a while. On balance I like Flightsoft better, and including aproaches, its about 1/4 the anual cost of Flightstar. I'll admit the low cost may be influencing which I like best.

$238 for the nav updates per year, including Low altitude enrout, sectionals, Terminal Area (Class Bs), and all USA approaches. All the updates via internet, except the approach charts which come by disk monthly.

go to www.rmstek.com

Give AirPlan a try too

Razor's Edge Software has a program called AirPlan that I find excellent. It costs $10 (yes, $10) and provides digitized Sectionals. In addition to all the normal planning functions, you can hook up a USB GPS and it will track your location vs flightplan on the sectionals. Finally, and this is something I really like, it uploads waypoints to my Garmin 496.

Back