What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which First, Paint or Polish?

todehnal

Well Known Member
I need to have an action plan for finish. I am going with mostly polish. I will paint all of the fiberglass, add some nice transition areas onto the aluminum, and include a tapered stripe from the nose to the tail. That leaves quite a bit of polish. So, the question is, do I paint first, or do I polish, then paint.

The airplane is unassembled, and I thought that may make polishing easier. I can just lay an element on a blanket covered table and polish away!

Any thoughts??
Tom

paint or polish

you need to paint first all areas that will get paint. You can polish areas that don't get near the paint. The reason you don't want to polish around the paint areas is; you can't paint over the polish area without treating (removing the polish) so it would be a waste of time to polish near the paint area. I hope this makes sense. Ask me I've been polishing for 15 years.
Shine'R

tooling marks

What If you have scratches and such that are next to the paint line? How do you mechanically get these buffed out with out working the paint?

Masking Should Do The Trick

I have left most of the protective plastic on each assembly until it was finished. By doing so, I have very few marks. If I paint first, my thought was to mask the painted area prior to polishing, figuring that I would be able to run a buffer right up to the masked paint. My guess is that this is what you do for subsequent polishings, to maintain the polish look. I must admit that I have zeeeero experience with polishing aluminum. My guess is that I will get plenty of practice.

So, the consensus seems to be to paint first. I was leaning that way, but had doubts. Any other thoughts are welcome. How about my approach to polish assemblies on a blanket covered table, rather that on the airplane? I think the easy removable wings on the RV-12 would make that a snap.

Tom

Polish Paint Polish

I need to have an action plan for finish. I am going with mostly polish. I will paint all of the fiberglass, add some nice transition areas onto the aluminum, and include a tapered stripe from the nose to the tail. That leaves quite a bit of polish. So, the question is, do I paint first, or do I polish, then paint.

The airplane is unassembled, and I thought that may make polishing easier. I can just lay an element on a blanket covered table and polish away!

Any thoughts??
Tom

If it was me I would do both, Polish all the big areas and close to the to the taped paint line. Then if you like what you see after polishing tape about a half inch from the further paint line and cover the polished area.
The painter can cover the half inch after his prep.
After the paint is finished touch up the polish job.

Fixing the polish is easier then a repaint and if there is some polished area you don?t like you could change your paint scheme

Just My thoughts

Back