What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

which engines have a conical mount?

O-360 C and D series.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

No angle valves that I am aware of. If for experimental you could use a conical case on an angle valve engine and you would be all set. 180HP and 200HP cases are the same except for piston oil cooling jets which are easy to add to the 180Hp setup.
Good Luck,
Mahlon ?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

I have an RV-4 project that came with a conical mount.
I want to put an IO-360 on it. I'm leaning toward a 180hp.
So sounds like I'm looking for a parallel valve IO-360.
So anyone know what the model numbers are for the conical mount ones?

conical mounts

The reference for this is Lycoming publication SSP-108. I do not find any IO parallel valve 360's listed with conical mounts. The carburetor 0 360's with conical mount are 0-360-C1F, C1G, C2A, C2B,C2C,C2D,C4F,C4P,D1A,D2A,D2B. For a homebuilt it shpould be possible to convert any of these to fuel injection. If you are overhauling any of the crankcase companys can convert a dynafocal case to conical or vice versa. It would appear to be simpler to simply buy or build a dynafocal engine ,mount.

conical mount

The AEIO-360-H1B and AEIO-360-H1A as used in the Bellanca/American Champion Decathalon are conical mount engines. The AE series engines are VERY expensive.

well if money was not a factor, I would go with a AFP fuel injection system.
I put one on my Long-EZ when he first started selling them to the EXP aircraft market in the early 90s. It worked great. However, the price has has gone up about 4-fold.

My plan is to find a run-out IO-360 with the Bendix fuel injection and overhaul it. I was not aware you can have the case modified. That is good news because I can now concentrate on just finding a good deal on a IO-360 and if happens to be a Dynafocal mount, just have the case modified.

The Wikipedia page may have the info you seek. Their Lycoming O-320 page is a quite detailed reference as to the differences between the various models. I don't know if the O-360 page is equally good.

I'd call to the shop you plan to use on the case conversion thing before you spend money. I've never heard of that particular idea before, and I'm almost certain it'd be impossible to go from a Conical to Dynofocal, the Dyno to Conical might be possible.

well if money was not a factor, I would go with a AFP fuel injection system.
I put one on my Long-EZ when he first started selling them to the EXP aircraft market in the early 90s. It worked great. However, the price has has gone up about 4-fold.

My plan is to find a run-out IO-360 with the Bendix fuel injection and overhaul it. I was not aware you can have the case modified. That is good news because I can now concentrate on just finding a good deal on a IO-360 and if happens to be a Dynafocal mount, just have the case modified.

By the time you find the needle in the haystack engine with a Bendix FI you will have almost as much money in overhauling the Bendix as you would getting a new AFP or Silverhawk system. Find a Good O-360 and convert to FI. Don

Back