What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which engine for my RV-8

bl226009

I'm New Here
Hi guys,

I'm slowly building a RV8 and I'm almost done with the fuselage. I still don't know wich engine I'm gonna install between IO360 180HP or 200 HP. It's quite a big price difference for 20 horses.

Does anybody have a suggestion ?

Thanx

i have a 8a and i got a good deal on a io-360 200hp. it is a good time to look for used they are almost the same price used.

We have the 180HP XP-IO-360 with Hartzell BA prop, and Rear Battery.

If HP is what you are after, there are various "Mods" (e.g. Hi Compression pistons etc.) which will get you >180HP out of the 180HP basic engine.

With an RV-8, especially if you want to do solo aerobatics with delightful handling, I'd be wary of the weight of the 200HP engine, especially with say an inverted system and a Hartzell up front. A lighter prop not such an issue ;)

There are also some reported issues over the 200HP engine's differences in cooling e.g. Oil Temps.

So for "suggestions", I'd explore a little more widely than just $$

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ

Fly in one

Fly in an RV and see what you like. I had to have an io390, and then I rode in a 4 with an o320 (150 hp) and I realized I didn't need that much power. These planes work very well with 180 hp. Unless you're an experienced aerobatic pilot, you won't begin to get everything out of the plane that it's capable of, even at 180 hp.

What prop?

My somewhat non-expert opinion is that 180 HP and CS prop is far better than 200 HP and fixed pitch prop.

Consider higher compression pistons but look into impact on using less than 100LL fuel.

Hi guys,

I'm slowly building a RV8 and I'm almost done with the fuselage. I still don't know wich engine I'm gonna install between IO360 180HP or 200 HP. It's quite a big price difference for 20 horses.

Thanx

Save the money you pay for the extra 20 horsepower, build a light airplane and put a good constant speed prop on the front. Stick with 8.5:1 compression pistons in case you want to run mogas. Just my opinion, but it works for me.

Lots of good choices

You have asked a question that when posed to 6 people, you will get 7 answers :D

When I started I was certain I wanted 200HP. When I thought about it some more I changed my mind. Decision points:

10% HP more costs roughly 50% to buy
A 180 HP 8.5 to 1 comp ratio will be very happy on mogas or whatever gas comes at us if 100LL goes away
Because of drag a 200 will not cruise much faster than a 180
Weight and fuel burn go up with the 200 (I know, so do climb rates)

All that said, its a personal values decision with no wrong answer. Does an increase in climb rate excite you? Is Mogas something that is attractive to you?

In the end I bought a Superior XP IO 360 and a composite CS prop. While I haven't flown it yet, I think I made the right choice (for me). I think not that many years ago no one could have talked me out of the 200HP ;) Good luck.

Hi guys,

Thanx

The guys at Van's...

When asked...all recommend the parallel valve 180 HP. Lighter weight, lower cost, better cooling in hot clime's, etc

200 hp vs 180

I have over 1000 hours behind a Lycoming I0360-A1B6 angle valve 200 horse. That engine set me back $32,250 dollars. I'd bet they are more now!
If I had it to do over, I would save the 10K difference and install a Lycoming clone (Superior or ECI or a combination there of ) into the Doll.

I do like the clean cowling that the fuel injected 200 hp offers, but now you can get that advantage with a much lighter parallel valve I0360 like the I0360M1B or the ECI or Superior equivalent. Add a Hartzell constant speed prop and then put the battery in the back.

This combination is just right for the RV-8. You will not be sorry.

200 or 180

When we were building the 8a we were shopping the used market for a 180 hp
we called several places and ond day i called JOE JENKINS and he said he had a angle valve io-360 and he said he wanted xk$ it had 600 hrs smoh we drove from nyc to deleware that day and brought it home.Got a c/s hartzell from a 6 with 600 hours for 2.3k came out under 12k for the lot. I flew in an 8 with a 180 and i now have 40+ hours on the 8a I would not trade the performance for anything and i have put a person 270+ person in the back seat and performance changed little takeoff rool + 100 ft actual airspeed improved over solo. Battery strobe pack and elt all in the back needs 40 lbs ballast in rear baggage for solo.Made that up with tool kit which you need to carry anyway. It is nice to have the extra power you can just throttle back and lean for good fuel economy 160 kts 55- 60 %.As for cooling we did a very tight fit on the cowling and baffeling even on 90+ degree days oil temp 185 heads never above 380 even in prolonged climb during test phase. Go for the higher hp it is nice to have gives you more options.

cyril

Back