What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which EMS will work with Garmin sensors?

Sparrowhwk

Patron
Hello all EIS and Garmin gurus:
I have an legacy (non-touch) G3X with the associated engine monitoring displayed on the engine screen.
I would like to have a separate stand alone engine monitor and was wondering if I need to change out the sensors or if there are good options using the existing sensors.
I assume the Garmin EIS (GI 275) or similar Garmin product would work - but are there any other systems that would avoid having to replace all the sensors?
Should I look at the Engine monitor system without considering the replacement of sensors because I'd end up with a better product if I just replaced everything?
This would be for a RV-8 with IO-360.
Thanks

Not sure I would call myself a guru but I am using an old out of production Dynon EMS D10. It replaced the Rocky Mountain Instruments microMonitor. I replaced most transducers like it was a new installation when I moved to the Dynon EMS D10. I could have reused many of them but wanted better quality transducers than the VDO ones I was using. There was a notice about bad transducers a few years back that were used both by Dynon and Garmin. IF the Garmin uses the same Type "J" and "K" thermocouples, then my bet would be that I could reuse everything switching to the Garmin monitor from my Dynon.

Depending on what brand / model engine monitor you want to use, my suggestion would be to obtain the installation and operating manuals and check them against the probes / transducers that your present system is using to see if they can be reused with the other brand.

Seems like your easiest and probably cheapest option would be to add a second GDU 37x display. Four wires and done.

Seems like your easiest and probably cheapest option would be to add a second GDU 37x display. Four wires and done.
Matt, this is a good suggestion and one that has crossed my mind. But in the RV-8, panel space is limited so a second GDU may be a challenge. I am looking at a panel upgrade and was more thinking about how best to incorporate a stand alone EMS in the new panel, and whether I should consider replacing all the sensors - or use a product that would work with the currently installed (and working) sensors. If I want to avoid replacing all the sensors - do I have to stick with the Garmin EIS ? I am guessing like everything else Garmin - the sensors are proprietary and won't work with other Engine Monitor manufacturers?

I am guessing like everything else Garmin - the sensors are proprietary and won't work with other Engine Monitor manufacturers?
Garmin doesn't manufacture its own engine sensors as far as I know, so anything you have already installed that's supported by another system ought to work in theory. A thermocouple is a thermocouple, everybody supports Kavlico pressure sensors and EI fuel flow transducers, etc.

Section 21.2.6 in your G3X installation manual (revision AU) shows how to upgrade from a different EIS installation to a G3X system, so you may find this information useful if you want to go to the other way.

Back