What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

which comes first ?

shiney

Well Known Member
I've read posts saying that if you are doing a glass panel you should leave it as late as possible before purchasing the goodies. I would imagine this is due to the constant changes in the technology and the later you leave it the more likely you are to get bang up to date hardware. Would builders therefore recommend fitting the F/F and engine first and leaving the panel to the very late stages of the project? and if so, does this cause any build problems?

Cheers

Martin

The order we are following - planning 101

Right now, we're working on the cowl of our RV9A. Engine is built and installed, half the baffling baffles are done (waiting for the cowl), wings are basically done, fuse is done, emp is done, landing gear on, tail feathers mounted, next will come the canopy.

After the canopy but before paint, we will buy the instruments because the glass panel we plan to install changes almost monthly. We will order early enough in anticipation of vendor lead time. We also expect Lowrance to come out with some new whizbang so we will prob buy the GPS during the 40 hour test period, but the elec wiring will be done and the panel holes cut.

Essentially, we've learned to work on many sections at the same time & to secure almost nothing during the build process with anything other than clecos making it easy to install additional items. We use green tape to mark lines that are not secure and yellow lacquer to mark all bolts and lines that are secure. There are charts and TODO lists plastered on every wall of the shop. We even added an internet line to the shop so we could study other people's projects while we work.

However, if you are planning to use gauges that are unlikely to change, the panel order time is less contingent on vendor upgrades and more dependent on finances.

A Spruce care package arrives weekly with those parts we need today, parts we need to complete sections that are 90% done, and parts will need in the future. I have yet to incur overnite shipping charges. To me, that's a planning failure.

FYI, I have two good friends helping me. W/o Chet and Gil, this would take forever.

Barry
Tucson

I don't see a downside to doing the FWF before building the panel. On the aircraft with sliding canopy installations, you will probably need to leave off the windscreen and top fuselage skin unless you're a contortionist. There is nothing to stop you from fitting those items, but don't permanantly attach 'em prior to building the panel and installing your electricals.

And yes, the longer you wait, the more functionality is available for your hard earned dollar...

I had about 90% of my wiring done (panel was 100% done) before I started the FWF. While wiring, I still had my fuselage on a low stand. I could stand at the firewall and reach into the front deck area for wiring. Easy.

Had the engine been installed (which means the thing is on its gear in the case of the straight -7), it would have been more challenging to do the wiring. Not a huge deal, but it would involve standing on step stools or whatever, and access from the front would be limited since, well, the engine is right there.

I'm a fan of getting the bulk of the wiring done before FWF. Just my 2 cents.

Vertically Challenged

Since I'm vertically challenged it was important to me to keep the plane as low as possible during wiring.

As Dan noted, with the engine on you lose lots of mobility.

I waited as long a possible to do the avionics. My radio stack was pretty well locked so I ordered the trays from Stark and got those all set up in the panel. I also used the Approach Systems Wiring Hub which eased installation considerable.

Any work is good work so if you wait the only loss is convienence in and around the fuselage.

wire panel first

I heard the same advice to wait to do panel last, and I rejected that advice because of the BIG advantage of keeping the fuselage and panel low where it was easy to reach and wire. I have just finished wiring the panel, have the panel painted, and am ready to rivet the forward skin on and install windshield( I am doing a slider). I would do it in this order again.

Tom Lewis
RV7a
Granbury, Tx

Here are some items to consider (no particular order):
- hang the engine as early as you can to allow it to settle, thereby helping avoid the spinner - cowl misalignment issue
- with the engine hung, you'll have a better idea where wiring needs to poke through the firewall as it heads toward the engine, where it terminates.
- waiting on glass does give you time to see what else comes to the market. But if you have an idea of which system you like, and are just waiting for updates - several systems now offer free updates (hardware and software). You just have to update them if/when one becomes available after your purchase.

I built "running boards" along my fuselage, so I could lean over the sides and reach right down to the floors. My fuse is on gear (taildragger). I'll most likely do both at the same time until one pulls my total attention (baffles come to mind). My engine arrives next month, and my panel gets back from the avionics shop next month.

What works for me is to keep moving.

Back