What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Capacitive Sensors?

rwtrwtau

Ok, Vans sells a set of Capacitive sensors made by EI (IE P-300C) for $45 each. The AFS ones (IE ACS CAPAC. CNVTR.) are $115 each.

Can someone plese tell me the differences between the units and if the cheaper ones will work with the AF3500?

Thanks/Regards
Richard

RV-7a - Finishing

I ordered the capacitive option on the wing order form. I had to buy some converters from Princeton Electronics in order to get them to work with the AF-3400 EMS. The converters were fairly expensive.

The EI Adaptors put out a duty cycle/frequency based on fuel level. They will not work with:

AFS EFIS
Dynon EFIS
Blue Mountain EFIS
GRT EFIS

These all require a DC voltage to display fuel level.

Currently the Princeton and Blue Mountain adaptors are the only ones that I know of that will convert the Capacitance to a voltage.

Rob Hickman

Davepar said:
The converters were fairly expensive.
Simplest solution which might even work would be use resistor and capasitor. That will change PWM signal to voltage... slowly, but we really don't need fast conversion rate here. Frequency to voltage converters (ICs) cost about $10 if we look for a more advanced solution. But to add all cost and profit no doubt will become pricy. :mad:

I would think that the EFIS manufactors would start supporting this option, after all, it shouldn't be that hard to program that as an option.

Back