What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which blind rivets to use in HS carrythroughs?

Captain Sacto

Well Known Member
For some odd reason, I neglected to set rivets in the outboard holes of the rear spar carrythrough (HS 609 PP) before I closed it up over a year ago.

Flying-airshow-acconst609.jpg

Now I'm wondering what might be the best blind rivet to set. This is a #30 hole, and MSP 42s are strong, but they aren't long enough.

I'm considering enlarging the holes to #19s, and using BSPQ-5-4s, as these are called out inboard on the same stiffener.

My problem? If I use the BSPQs, I exceed the radius-edge distance by just a mite, as you can probably guess by the image above.

So, learned colleagues, I request your advice and suggestions.

Thanks in advance! -- Tom Parker in Sacramento

I would use a -4 CherryMax...

...CR3213 rivet.

And, if you are not sure how accurate and/or clean your #30 hole is through both pieces of material, then you could use a 1/64 oversize CR3243 rivet and drill the hole out appropriately (#27).

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/cherrymax.php

These essentially have the same strength as a solid rivet.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Sounds like good advice, Will do Gil.

I've been avoiding Cherrymax simply because I didn't want to get the $150 squeezer, but that time is here. (And I'm sure to need it farther down the assembly line.)

Any special tips to using the Cherrymax rivet squeezers, or is it essentially the same as pop riveting?

Tks.

A good heavy duty...

Sounds like good advice, Will do Gil.

I've been avoiding Cherrymax simply because I didn't want to get the $150 squeezer, but that time is here. (And I'm sure to need it farther down the assembly line.)

Any special tips to using the Cherrymax rivet squeezers, or is it essentially the same as pop riveting?

Tks.

..."Pop Riveter" tool should work on the 1/8 size CherryMax.

Try a test one first and save the $150 for later....:)

Like Gil says, don't waste your money. Any old cheap Harbor Freight rivet puller should handle CherryMax rivets just fine. I agree also that a CherryMax is the right way to go. There's a table on the ACS website that shoes you the grip length. Just add up the thickness of all the layers you need to go through and it will be easy to pick the proper length rivet.

Back