What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which avionics for Australia?

Ausflyer

Well Known Member
I plan to order my avionics shortly. Can anyone advise me whether the 495 is worth the extra bucks over the 296 in aussie? I have read that the XM facility is unavailable here so the 396 and 496 are overspecced for us.

And the transponder - any recommendation?

Your advice would be appreciated
Rod

495 with Pacific data is the non XM lesser priced version of 496 for Pacific including Australia.
296 compared to 495 differences
- with 495 get faster processer (I have a 296 and it seems ok in map mode so not sure this is worth having)
- 495 get higher resolution screen - I haven't seen a 495 so can't comment but maps are same in both, ie no more detail available ( - edit - 6 Aug 2009 - this is incorrect - see post #8 below from Matt Burch for correct info)
- 495 allows you to connect a Zaon XRX traffic receiver and it will display traffic on the 495 map display as well as the Zaon itself

I'm no expert but these I understand are the differences.
What is the difference in price from Vans comparing 495 Pacific (not 496) to 296 Pacific?
By the way you probably already know this but vital to get Pacific version as can't convert an America's or Atlantic to Pacific after purchase.
Regards
John

Last edited:
Rod,

There are functions on the 396+ that are not and most likely will not be usable in Australia.

With that said the 396+ can be configured to Icom Radios to select frequency.

I would recommend the 296 for value. A transponder is great and can help avoid accidents. If you are a GA pilot then I would strongly recommend one.

Jim Tatlock
www.austecavionics.com.au
Slow 12 builder Geelong.

Don't know about Aussie, but

One biggie for me; in the US the 495 has private airfields, the 296 does not. Much of my business takes me to private airstrips.

Unfortunately, Australia is one of the many countries that are very stingy with their aeronautical data, so the Pacific version of the 495 does not have private airports for Australia. In terms of aviation features for the Pacific version, what you'd get with the 495 over the 296 is higher-resolution terrain, and a faster GPS update rate (5Hz versus 1Hz). I don't know offhand what the price difference is, but unfortunately the feature list isn't as strongly differentiated as it is in the US or western Europe.

good luck,
mcb

Quote "what you'd get with the 495 over the 296 is higher-resolution terrain"

Matt
In the 495 is the terrain data more detailed or is the display finer resolution of the same map detail?

John

I have both the 296 and 496 in South Africa. I would go for the 296. The differences are marginal.... and IMHO outside USA 496 not worth the extra bucks. here the price difference is HUGE....

In the 495 is the terrain data more detailed or is the display finer resolution of the same map detail?

The units have the same screen... the terrain database is what is different (a bit more than 10x the amount of data in the 495/496 vs the 296/396).

mcb

GPS and transponder

Thanks everyone for you recommendations. I will save the $600 and go for the 296 in Australia.
As for the transponder, the order form mentions: "Garmin GTX-327 Transponder (GTX-328 w/Mode S available for European customers only. See option below)

Is this relevant to Australian Builders? In many other respects, our navigation environment seems to follow the British path. Which transponder is the best choice for Australian builders?
Your help will be much appreciated.

Rod Clark

Back