What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

where to put wiring hole in F-711 bulkhead?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I'm working on my bulkheads and drilling all the wiring / pitot / rudder cable holes. Most are on the plans except for the 2 aft-most bulkheads (F-711 and F-712). I've seen discussion on how to handle F-712 but I can't find where to run the wires through F-711.

This is the 2nd aft-most bulkhead - the one with the 2 big bars riveted to it. I've been copying George Orndorff on the others - but I can't see what he did on this one.

There is a tooling hole low on the centerline - I could drill that out to 5/8 and install a SB625 bushing? That's what I did on F-710.

Any help would be appreciated....

Here's how I handled the 711.

P2030097.JPG

Thanks Jim - great pic... but the 711 is the one way in the back, behind the one with the big hole in it. I can see wires back there, but I can't quite figure out where you ran them...:confused:

In my 6A I only have a pair of wires going to the nav light; I drilled small holes (1/4" snap bushing if I recall correctly) in the last three bulkheads. I routed the ground forward and then up to the thick angle that supports the HS attachment. The hot wire I routed forward and then co-routed it with the trim tab cable. That may be bad practice; I know you're not supposed to co-route wire and plumbing but I don't think it will be a problem. However, I wish I had known all the equipment I would have and where it would go before I skinned my fuselage; routing after the fact can be a pain. I had no idea that the strobe power supply, autopilot head and pitch servo, and elt would all be behind the baggage bulkhead with wires and cables running forward. It was especially difficult to get over the wing spars, fore and aft, and also to make holes in the seat ribs. Since you're planning this now, make a list and try to think of everything.

wiring holes

I'm working on my bulkheads and drilling all the wiring / pitot / rudder cable holes. Most are on the plans except for the 2 aft-most bulkheads (F-711 and F-712). I've seen discussion on how to handle F-712 but I can't find where to run the wires through F-711.

This is the 2nd aft-most bulkhead - the one with the 2 big bars riveted to it. I've been copying George Orndorff on the others - but I can't see what he did on this one.

There is a tooling hole low on the centerline - I could drill that out to 5/8 and install a SB625 bushing? That's what I did on F-710.

Any help would be appreciated....

Dave,
Basically put them where ever you want to but not through the attach bars and not on the floor. Water will get into the aft sections, so floor is bad. I drilled 2 #30 holes in bulkhead at the 5 o'clock position just below the lightening flange, slipped some split 3/8 corregated platic tubing over the wiring and cable tied the plastic tubing in an 'X' pattern. If you have the electric trim tab you need this wiring to go up to stab anyway. Your taillight/strobe wiring can continue out the aft bulkhead. Secure you wiring well at these junctures to ensure no possible interference with the elevator push/pull tube.
Mike H 9A/8A

Back