What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to locate the ELT unit?

Adam

Well Known Member
Where is the best place to locate the ELT unit in a RV-8, the rear baggage compartment?

Thanks,
Adam Silverstein
Finish RV-8

ELT Unit and Antenna locations

I'm planning on putting my ELT somewhere in or just aft of the rear baggage compartment. Have to figure out how it and the strobe power supply will both fit in that same general area while keeping the associated wiring runs simple.

Slightly off topic to the original question. I know, I know, there have been a MILLION threads on the ELT antenna location question. What I've learned from reading most of them is that most folks place the antenna near the front seat support brace or under the empennage fairing.

I'm building a 8A. If the ELT goes off due to accident then there's a high probability its resting on it's top with belly up. In this situation, having the ELT antenna in the cockpit may not be the best location. I'm leaning to putting the antenna under the empennage fairing.

But what about putting the ELT antenna at the end right wing rib under the fiberglass wingtip? Yes, transmission would be blocked by the wing rib but would that be any worse than the blockage from the empennage? If the wings are gone (and ELT antenna with them) would a speedy rescue really matter?

I also carry an compact ACR 406MHz personal ELT w/GPS when flying, and IF I'm consious and can get out of the plane, I'm more confident in that device than I am with the required ELT in the plane.

Al Thomas
N880AT
RV-8A QB (finishing & FWF)

glider4 said:
But what about putting the ELT antenna at the end right wing rib under the fiberglass wingtip? Yes, transmission would be blocked by the wing rib but would that be any worse than the blockage from the empennage? If the wings are gone (and ELT antenna with them) would a speedy rescue really matter?

Hi Al,

Just a thought on this - one of the recommended ways to assure a steady and survivable deceleration during an off-airport landing is to actually take the wings off on trees (or whatever) as you slow down. Aim between two trees and let the crumpling slow you down "softly". Granted, it's gonna take a pretty lucky set of circumstances to make that happen, but to me, that's enough of a consideration to keep the ELT antenna at least in line with the cabin.

Just something to consider!

Paul

Adam said:
Where is the best place to locate the ELT unit in a RV-8, the rear baggage compartment?

Thanks,
Adam Silverstein
Finish RV-8

Adam,
Please do NOT mount your ELT to the rear baggage compartment "battery box" cover or any of the side wall covers. These do not give proper support to the ELT. The FARs require that the mounting point of the ELT be able to support a 100 pound load without bending and a 300 pound load without breaking. This requirement is to insure that the ELT will be solidly attached to the airframe. The purpose of this is to prevent "falsing" of the ELT signal during a hard landing.
Most of the rear baggage compartment covers are to flimsy to provide proper support to the ELT.
I fabricated a mount between the rear battery tray and the lower longeron on the left side. I can supply photos of this mounting if you want. Please contact me off list for the photos.
You can find my email address by clicking on my user name at the top, left of this post.
Charlie Kuss

Trees and rocks!

Paul,
Thanks of the feedback! Good point. While I'm not planning landing between two closely spaced trees anytime soon, in the high country where I fly there are plenty of rocks that could remove a wing. I'll install my ELT antenna in the tail junction area next week. Engine goes on tomorrow!

Albert Thomas
N880AT
RV-8A QB (finishing kit & FWF)

Here's what I did:

electrical031ln0.jpg

Suggestion

Craig,
Might I suggest that you reroute your ELT ant lead around that bulkhead rather than through it? In a crash there is a good chance that the bulkhead could sever the ant lead.

Craig said:
Here's what I did:

electrical031ln0.jpg

Craig--That's exactly what I intend to do. My goal is to get the cg as far aft as possible without putting the battery in back. Thanks for the photo, it keeps me from having to re-invent the wheel (or the mount in this case).

Back