What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to go from here... (4 year restart)

Sig600

Well Known Member
Gents,
Have the QB fuselage sitting in my garage, QB wings sitting in the cradle, and the empennage major assembly is done. Horiz/Vert stabs and elevator are all bubble wrapped. (No fiberglass tip work done)

The whole project has been in storage for about 4 years, and I finally have everything organized to restart this project, but not sure where I should restart. Going to order the tool box kit from Vans so that I can relearn how to do all the metal work, and get the new wife involved too.

Where would you begin and whats a good sequence to restart assembly? Working in a 3 car garage, was thinking about trying to get the empennage finished and mounted on the fuselage but I'm afraid without it sitting on the gear it'll take up a lot of space with the tail sitting high in a cradle.

Thougts?

(Empennage was started in 2002, I'm trying to set a record for the longest, quickbuild build). :mad:

were I ever to divorce...

I'd hope the ex would let me keep the airplane through the divorce. You're a lucky man.

That being said.

The toolbox is a good idea, I'd go with the airfoil project too.

Then just jump in. You may finish the wings if you've figured out what you want to do with wiring, autopilot, pitot-static, lighting, etc. You can install conduit, all of your wiring, your tubing servos (or brackets), pitot mount, and then rivet the bottom wing skins, build the aileron push tubes, work on the wing tips.

The fuselage section in the construction manual will guide you along if you choose that route. Remember, you've got to read through the manual to see what has been done on the qb versus a slow built. Doing so will help you to get your bearing, where is this bulkhead?, where is this stiffener?, where is this gusset?

You and I are in about the same spot, but you bought a qb and I bought a slow built. I know what direction I'm headed in, but I've had my head in the game for the last 1.5 years.

As for your new helper-- Sure, bring the new woman along into the airplane factory, I wish I could get her to do anything in the garage.

Last edited:
Just to get going, identify something small that needs to be done, and repeat. Anything.

First of all, I must state I am completely new her, just bought the preview plans and will order emp kit in the new year. I have, however, had some large projects that have stalled and I have been a little reluctant to re-start. My thoughts after getting back in are normally that there was not as big a problem as I had imagined.

I can guess that you see the enormity of the task ahead and feel your skills have declined. Like any large endeavour, it can be broken down in to small steps with the hardest one generally being the first one!

Had in storage for 4 years and new wife - I guess there have been some life-changes! Maybe look on the project now as a 'super quick build kit' as you have completed some of the work already. Make the project part of the new start.

Good Luck!

Scott has it right - don't even THINK about building the airplane at this point - just think about doing individual tasks. no one can build an airplane - the project is too big - but anyone can mount an aileron bellcrank, or assemble hinge brackets. I find that QB wings are a great way in to a project, as they are relatively accessible and easy to work on - no horribly cramped places to mess with.

Paul

I guess there have been some life-changes! Maybe look on the project now as a 'super quick build kit' as you have completed some of the work already. Make the project part of the new start.

Good Luck!

Super quick build needs super funding!!! Trying to pay for everything as I go, don't want to finance. I'd like to have a plane at the end I'm proud of, and better yet is paid for.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check back tomorrow and read the rest.

Paul, I think you're on the right track. Rather than try to pick up where I left off (no idea where that is), the QB wings have been untouched since delivery. Sounds like a good place to start.

Share the experience with the wife.

Scott said it best. Start wherever you feel comfortable and allow the earlier learned skills to return over time.

Build on a series of successes. Don't allow an early stumbling point to cause another 4 year layoff.

It's been three years between working with fiberglass on the 9A and the 6A we're building now, but once I recalled how much finishing work dacron saves, I blew thru all three wheel pants and fairings in record time.

Periodically, bum a ride in a friend's RV so the love affair kindles the drive to keep going.

The end definitely justifies the means. Flying into busy SOCAL today, it was great to have an airplane so nimble and responsive.

You and the wife will definitely enjoy that airplane.

You asked specifically "What should I do next?" You should start by posting where you live, and asking if there are any experienced RV builders nearby who can come by and take a look at what you have. Make a couple of local friends who you can call on to take a look, give advice, and provide encouragement.

I had a cadre of about five or six RV builders, one engine guy, several "willing hands", and a couple of family members who I could count on for assistance. I didn't call on them often, but I really appreciated their help when I needed it. Get your cadre started and jump back in!:D

I just restarted after 3 yrs. I was about at the end of the fuselage when I put it away....which was a HORRIBLE place to quit. I spent about a month going through the manual step by step and checking each piece on the airplane just to get the whole thing "current" in my head. Being so early in the project...I don't expect it'd be too hard to do the same. Have fun!

Back