What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to get AIS connectors

D sub?

Are you trying to connect higher amperage, or just a few amps. If just a few perhaps you could use male and female D sub pins with heat shrink over them. Looks like about the same thing, but without the locking plastic cover. Just a thought.

Ben

That or knife splices... I specifically want the ais connectors for tight spots like my pitot heat wiring where you're working inside a tight access panel. Having to deal with heat shrink in a spot like that is rough... Those connector housings are very positive but they are also easy to unlock and open with one hand.

Contact mfr for nearest distributor.

For 0-3 Amps I would use dsubs. 3-12 Amps Molex. 12-30 Amps Spade or Ring Term, above 30 Amps use Ring term to match wire size.

Those are nice but also heavy compared to say a butt splice or molex conn.

Most of my elect from SteinAir.

I used a two pin molex for my pitot wires. Two fingers squeeze and apart it comes. I also left some extra wire in case I had conn problems later. Then I will just butt splice it.

Hey, that is the great thing about EAB.

The Cooper Interconnect AIS conectors are nice weather-proof ones and are good for 13 Amps.
I think they are for heavier wire than the usual D-Sub pins.

I can't find out where to buy them though...:(

The 805 area code listed at the bottom of the web page is in my neck of the woods. Let me know if I can help.

Erich

They have a where to buy page that might help you :)

I think that's a different division - "wiring devices" rather than the "interconnect" that used to be WPI-Viking.

In Tucson it goes to the usual electrical (big stuff - 120v and higher) supply houses. Probably good if you want 2 gauge lugs though...:)

I'll call tomorrow and check though...

it looks like I'll be able to get some through a friend. They're remarkably expensive to try to buy in onesy-twoseys.

If you order from an electronics supply house like Newark, they want close to eight bucks per side for the housings. Figure close to $20 per splice all up. That's clearly a "we don't want to sell to you unless you're buying $100k worth" price.

Even in 10k qty they are still listed as almost five bucks per half. Each splice is a m39029 pin and socket and an ais16p and an ais16r

Theyre crimped with m22520/1 frame crimpers and insertd using the standard 16ga (blue) insertion and removal tools. I think it's the /1-02 turret bt I haven't confirmed that yet.

Back