What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to find answers

rwarre

Well Known Member
Have started studying the pre-plans for my 7a. I have some questions about the drawings and instructions which probably have been asked before. Where should I look for these answers? Example: The plans calls for tapered ends of the HS-710. There is a reference R1/4. Does this mean the radius from the middle of the hole on the end of HS-710?

hs-710

I don't have the plans in front of me but if memory serves, the full plans show the HS-710 as actual size. So, shaping this piece is really a no brainer. Bandsaw/file/cut the same radius as shown on the plans...finish with scotch brite wheel, match drill the spar/ bend the 6* (?) angle and move on. Just watch your edge distance with the predrilled holes on the tips. Oh ya, once you've done it once it's a piece of cake....no wonder multiple offenders finish these things off in half the time or less. :D

You got it.

That's correct. Rivets in that location should be 1/8th diameter. Standard edge distance rule is two times the rivet diameter. So, 1/8th times two is 1/4.

I believe that is shown in the front of the manual somewhere. I have not looked there in awhile. Good luck.

Once you have the hs-710 riveted on, it's hard to understand why you would have to round them so much. They just sit there inside the stabilizer and are not in the way. Can't be for weight can it? It's so minimal that is removed. Any idea why you remove it? I did it but can't see why.

ditch said:
Once you have the hs-710 riveted on, it's hard to understand why you would have to round them so much. They just sit there inside the stabilizer and are not in the way. Can't be for weight can it? It's so minimal that is removed. Any idea why you remove it? I did it but can't see why.
One reason IS weight. Every little bit adds up. Another reason is to assure that you don't leave corners where cracks can start. This is your beginning lesson on rounding and de-burring.

Mel said:
One reason IS weight. Every little bit adds up. Another reason is to assure that you don't leave corners where cracks can start. This is your beginning lesson on rounding and de-burring.

I believe this whole heartedly. I think there are a few things on the HS that Van's seems real anal about, but it's a learning lesson for a future time when you will need the skill. If they teach you to do the right thing from the beginning, you'll likely carry this quality of workmanship through the build.

Back