What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to buy quick change drill bits?

N546RV

Well Known Member
I feel I must be going insane or something. As backstory, I bought a secondhand tool kit before starting my project, which came with three air drills, one of which was equipped with a quick-change chuck. There was also a supply of quick change bits, and I have come to appreciate the ease of swapping them out.

But now I'm getting low on bits and looking to resupply, and I can't seem to find these bits anywhere. Cleaveland and Spruce both sell the quick change chuck, but not the bits, which strikes me as rather odd, but despite lots of poking around, I can't find the bits.

I'm going to buy some regular jobber bits just to have them around anyway, but it's driving me insane that these quick change bits seem to be about as common as unicorns. I don't even care that much about actually finding them any more, I just want to know that they actually exist...

Can You Say - "EBAY"?

I too have grown accustomed to the convenience of using QC bits with all my air drills. Have been using the 6" as well as the 12" (seldom needed, but nice to have once in a while).

EBAY has always been a great source - a Google search for "Aviation Drill Bits" should give you a good start. Sometimes you have to watch for a few days until the exact size - #30 or 40 become available. The ones I have been getting lately have come out of Boeing's Wichita plant and have gone through their re-sharpening shop and look and operate like brand new. The pricing is incredibly cheap - something like a dozen drills for 10 to 15 bucks. I have so many that when they get dull I just through them in the recycle bin and pull out another one.

QC chucks and drill bits are one of the best kept "dirty little secrets" in our business.

Just my experience - YMMV!

David Howe

PS - I just did the Google Search and the first item listed was 10 #40 x 12" for $20.99. These bits on the open market are around $6-7 a piece - ask me how I know? If you don't find the exact bits you are looking for, you can contact the seller with your request and many times (I have found) they will have in stock what you need - it is just that sometimes they haven't gotten around to bagging and posting the listing.

You may be able save even more dough by heating the adapter with a torch and pulling the old bit out with pliers. Then replace with a standard bit. Works with threaded bits for 90 degree bits.

Back