What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where did you route your pitot line ?

Wicked Stick

Well Known Member
I'd like to query all you 8 builders out their that have gone before me. :D

Where/how did you route your pitot line coming in from the left wing and more importantly how did you go through at the wing root and into the fuselage ? Did you go behind the spar and then through center section of the spar to get to the front gear tower area and then up to the panel ?

It looks like it "may" be possible to route a plastic pitot line in front of the spar, then between the front wing spar and the fuel tank, and thus avoid having to have it come out the back side of the wing spar, through the narrow space at the wing root, into the fuse and then back thru the center section spar just to get to the front of the airplaine again. (seems like the long way around) ;)

What did you all do ? and if you got a good one, do you have pictures you could post. Also, what type of connector did you use to go from the 1/4 aluminum tubing to transtion it to the plastic tubing ?

Into the fuse from the wing, up the left side just in front of the rear throttle, under the "armrest" and throttle into the gear tower and up to the panel. Just couldn't convince myself to drill another hole in the spar and going through the center presents it's own concerns with either more connections or tight bends in the tubing.

Safeair1 sells a kit with the needed adapters or individual parts for aluminum to plastic connection.

PS_Kit_07.jpg

If you are using a Dynon (3/16 tubing) pitot and EFIS, be sure to get two couplings.

1 - AN816-3D NIPPLE
1 - AN818-3D NUT
1 - AN819-3D SLEEVE

Stein sells the parts as well but I'm not so sure he has the required AN fittings to go from aluminum to plastic. He may comment on this.

Last edited:
.....Where/how did you route your pitot line coming in from the left wing and more importantly how did you go through at the wing root and into the fuselage ?.........
Dave,

I used a bulkhead fitting for the pitot connection and continued to route the same soft aluminum tubing to the back of the instrument panel via through the spar web, underneath the fuel selector valve and into the gear tower before turning upward.

zvgpx.jpg
9rj6ft.jpg

fwd of wing tanks

WS,
I'm getting close to this job too ... on the advice of my tech counselor (kr-2, rv-4, b-25, rv-8) I'm planning to mount the pitot tube outboard two bays from the plans then go fwd of the spar, aft of the fuel tanks between the z-brackets. I bought two (pitot and aoa) safeair 90deg fittings for the fuse joint.
Jeff

WS,
I'm getting close to this job too ... on the advice of my tech counselor (kr-2, rv-4, b-25, rv-8) I'm planning to mount the pitot tube outboard two bays from the plans then go fwd of the spar, aft of the fuel tanks between the z-brackets. I bought two (pitot and aoa) safeair 90deg fittings for the fuse joint.
Jeff

Jeff,

So funny you should post that....lol I just finished doing exactly what you suggested. I ran the aluminum line all the way to the wing root though.
Didn't want to worry about changing out plastic down the road behind the tank.

... some details then ...

WS, good work. A question on the details then ... how did you secure the Al tubing run? I was figuring some adel clamps screwed to either the tank brackets or the spar? And do think I can squeeze a second line in there for aoa?

Jeff,

I used a 90 degree AN bulkhead pass-thru fitting to go from the rear of the spar to the front of the spar, two bays outboard of the fuel tank.
Pitot_line1.jpg

I used rubber grommets for the two ribs on the leading edge and then secured the aluminum line behind the tank with some Dow Corning 732 adhesive to the bottom spar.
Pitot_line2.jpg

It runs pretty close to the bottom of tank skin when re-installed, so even if the aluminum line were to come loose from the beads of adhesive, it's so close to the tank skin, it would still be supported by resting on the bottom of the tank skin. (There's adhesive about every 12 inches across the span.) I made sure there was a gap between the tubing and the spar (about 1/8") and filled it with adhesive similiar to using sika-flex on the canopy.

It exits on the wing root and then is converted to the plastic tubing from there using one of the Safe-Air quick connects.
Pitot_line4.jpg

Last edited:
thanks...

A couple of photos would be great ... [email protected].
I hadn't thought of adhesive. It does eliminate additional small nuts and bolts inside of the wing.

Share your Piccies please?

This is a great thread. Can you share your images to the rest of us all please?:)

David

Back