What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where are the 799 wing fairing pieces

Simon Hitchen

Well Known Member
Im looking for the 799 wing fairing strips and cant find mention of them in the inventory, surely these arent in the finishing kit are they??

For Subaru engine installers Van's leaves out the wing root fairings. Just kidding. They are indeed in the finish kit.

Ouch!!

Thanx guys,

Shame they're in the finishing kit as it would be good to drill it when the wings are installed the first time as the nut plates need to be installed when the wings are taken off for further work. Guess this means that the wings will have to stay on until the finishing kit arrives,,,but how do I paint the inside with the wings on...Better think through the logistics of it all...again.

Simon

Yes, they are in the finish kit.

I had the same problem as you when I was attaching my wings the first time.
I spent about 45 minutes going through everything more then once looking for the pieces or any piece of metal that I could make them out of. The next day I stopped at Vans (yea, I am that close) and asked if I was missing something from my fuse. kit.
When I was told that it was in the finish kit, I asked why refer to them in the instruction for the fuse. Was told that most builders by the time the wings were attached will have already ordered and received their finish kit.
When I suggested that the instruction should be place in the finish kit for doing this work.

I think that someone screw up the parts list for the fuse. and at this point they can't straighten it out. If they changed it now they would not know who had got the part in the fuse and who in the finish.

Kent

Hello Don..

How is the weather in Idaho?
Were are you getting your engine from.

Kent

The weather here is thunderstorms today but we need the rain. I'm having the engine built by Sky King in Springfield Mo. He did a friend's engine and it is a great running engine. Mine is kind of a hybrid. IO-360 parallel vavle with a front governer mount and forward fuel servo. Has a counterweight crank, 9-1 pistons, balanced and flow ported. But he has been really slow and I should have had the engine over a month ago. I only have about two weeks worth of work to do and the rest of the airframe is done. i ordered it at Arlington last year and i wanted to fly it there this year. Still might make it but its getting down to the wire. Don

Back