What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to rivet Rivet Roll-Bar support Angle?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I am busy drilling and fitting my Tip Up Canopy Roll-Bar/Cabin Frame.

I want to check if NOW is the right time to rivet the Thick RED Angle (F-705G highlighted in GREEN) that sits underneath it all and supports the Roll-Bar Angles (shown in Yellow)???

Is there any reason to delay riveting this sucker untill later in the Canopy process? The DWG20 only says wait until the side skins are on, which it is now....

Thanks in advance,
Kind Regards
Rudi

roll_bar_03.gif

roll_bar_02.jpg

roll_bar_01.jpg

F705 support riveting

Rudi,
The issue is being able to buck the last couple of rivets that hold the upper rear skin. Since that skin goes on much later, I riveted the angle in when I put the skins on. I decided that the last couple of rivets holding the rear skin on will be pulled.
I guess if you wanted to, you could leave out the upper rivets that would interfere with the skin rivets, but then you'll have to figure out how to do those rivets after doing the skin - and with all the stuff that will be in that area by that time (like the bolts holding the canopy frame mounts), I'm not sure it's possible.
I'm sure somebody smarter than I am figured out how to do it :rolleyes:

Catch 22

Rudi,

It is sort of a Catch 22 (a circular problem).

As mentioned if you install the angles without having installed the top skin then you will not be able to buck the forward top/side skin rivets when it is time.

If you rivet the stop skin on then install the angles then getting the rear glass installed maybe rather difficult. Not to mention shooting some of the other AD4 rivets.

Hence I choose the to blind rivet the 3 offending locations.

I have learned the hard way that it is far better to use blind rivets then damage parts by trying to shoot rivets in bad locations.

I would rather use blind rivets and damage my pride then damage airplane parts. My pride will heal and my parts will not have battle scars.

I am just finishing up my tip-up canopy assembly. You are in for some real fun shortly.

Build on.............

Paul

Last edited:
Pmerems said:
I would rather use blind rivets and damage my bride then damage airplane parts. My pride will heal and my parts will not have battle scars.

Hope your wife doesn't read these forums, Paul. If you need a place to sleep, let me know. :D

Closer

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Hope your wife doesn't read these forums, Paul. If you need a place to sleep, let me know. :D

Paul ... I'm closer and have 2 spare bedrooms..... :)

gil in Tucson

Rudi
Be careful even blind rivets may not work!!! I had the same question and decided to go the blind rivet route - then when I was match drilling the side skins I found that the F-705G angle was right against the longeron and skin, I drilled through to mark the F-705G and filed notches to clear the blind rivets later.
Jim
7A under construction
Engine apart

When are you going to paint it?

From the looks of it you have already painted your interior. Any reason why you didn't paint the rollbar at the same time? Just curious as I get ready to paint my interior.

Stewart

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback...looks like there is no clear answer, on this one. If you have more input let me know...

7pilot said:
From the looks of it you have already painted your interior. Any reason why you didn't paint the rollbar at the same time? Just curious as I get ready to paint my interior. Stewart
Hi Stewart, the interior was painted earlier, the roll bar was not even started yet. Actually the plans have you finish riveting the roll bar before fitting to the aircraft for the first time. I left mine clecko'ed for now, finish drilling ALL the holes and support angles. Then after all the holes are done will I take it appart debur, prime, and paint the roll bar, angles everything individually, then rivet it. By painting it seperately you know it is right, cause it is on top right at eye level of everyone, and at the same time it does not obstruct your interior painting of the inside bagage area of the fuse. I just thought it made sense to me to do it this way.

Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Back