What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to purchase finish kit?

climberrn

Well Known Member
I go the Empennage done in about a month of work, so when I am working on the project, I get some good time in. We landed a good job out of town, and decided to purchase the Quickbuild fuse and wings. It should be shipped early June. The question I have is, I would like to have a few months of work available when I get home. I have not totally decided on an engine yet, so have decided to wait on the finish kit, although I am leaning toward a ported, and 9:1 IO-360 parallel valve.

In reality, it will be early next year before we can afford the engine. Trying to pay for it as we go.

How much work is there to do on the 7A Quickbuild fuse and wings? Do I need an exact engine choice prior to ordering the finish kit? I know I will save on the shipping, but do not want to store, and spend the money right now if it can be purchased later.

Thanks for your infinite wisdom (and opinions;))

Lots O' work

How much work is there to do on the 7A Quickbuild fuse and wings? Do I need an exact engine choice prior to ordering the finish kit?
Let me say......there is a lot of work remaining in the QB wings and Fuse. Depending on how complex you decide to your project should be. If you decide on AOA,
this adds to the complexity. I you add lighting (of any sort) you add complexity. If you add....frankly, if you built it as simple as you could there would still be a significant
amout of work complete.
As to the engine choice/finish kit? Yes you will need to know pretty much extactly what you want in an engine (It starts with the engine mount). But there is plenty of time for that (say
12 months plus, for the average person with a life (or a wife;))
regards

Last edited:
Yearly price increases

Joe,

If your pretty sure what engine type and what type of prop you want and you have the funds and storage space I would order the finishing kit before January to beat the yearly price increase.

Hi Joel....

...One of the reasons to know which engine you're going to use is because the bottom cowl comes with a lower intake hole if your engine is carbed or no intake hole with a clean underside if you go injected. From Van, the air intake is then on the left lower baffling of the left side cooling air intake.

On other occasions, injected engines also use the lower fresh air box.

Regards,

I am not sure how the 7 and 8 differ in this area, but if you managed to devote the time to finish the emp in a month, you are gonna need the finish kit sooner than you think. On an 8, there isn't much to do on a QB fuse other than the floors and seats.

have fun with it!!

Back