What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to puke... ADS-B

BruceMe

Well Known Member
From what I've read, if you need a new transponder definately go ADS-B. But if you have one, wait because it will probably get cheaper.

So when do you buy? Is going ADS-B like buying an airline ticket... you don't want to get one right now, but some point before the deadline it will be "cheapest". When will that be?

What do others think?

In terms of general pricing trends in GA, as well as product development cycle times, ADS-B has already come down quite a bit in price over the last few years, and some nice, simple, integrated solutions now exist.

I'm not sure I'd be expecting much more improvement on product or price from now on.

In fact, as the 2020 date approaches and the late comers get desperate, prices could go back up ...

I wouldn't wait until much past 2018 I think? Especially if you've seen the kind of product that would work well for your particular setup ...

And of course, you may want to take advantage of ADS-B services like TIS-B right away ... no need to wait 4 more years if you can use them now, and maybe save yourself a SiriuxXM subscription for in flight weather for example ...

Another twist in ADS-B - Drones

One factor in price performance is demand. Automobile engines are cheaper than aircraft engines because there are millions of them.

Enter the drone.

As drones get more powerful, faster, better cameras, longer duration, they will be in higher demand, and more will be used in the commercial world.

And drones will require ADS-B.

For example:

http://www.uavionix.com/

will have ADS-B that will also meet the requirements of experimental aircraft. Smaller, lighter and cost-effective.

Soon? Maybe.

I'm looking for the price of an ADS-B in/out unit that uses my transponder and a tablet display for ADS-B in to be around $1000.00

Wishful thinking? Maybe. :eek:

CC

One factor in price performance is demand. Automobile engines are cheaper than aircraft engines because there are millions of them.

Enter the drone.

As drones get more powerful, faster, better cameras, longer duration, they will be in higher demand, and more will be used in the commercial world.

And drones will require ADS-B.

For example:

http://www.uavionix.com/

will have ADS-B that will also meet the requirements of experimental aircraft. Smaller, lighter and cost-effective.

Soon? Maybe.

I'm looking for the price of an ADS-B in/out unit that uses my transponder and a tablet display for ADS-B in to be around $1000.00

Wishful thinking? Maybe. :eek:

CC

+1 I also see the drone market driving not only overall demand, but new product innovation. I believe that a new/different suite of offerings will be developed for the drone market, as referenced above, and those products will steal experimental market opportunity from current providers, creating a pressure to reduce price, not increase it.

I also don't believe price will go up closer to 2020. Competition will drive prices down as providers look to take the remaining market share/buyer community. Remember, the big money grab ends in 2020 and the market shrinks substantially as it stabilizes into a much smaller, long term market. Companies will want to take this opportunity to capture as much revenue as possible to offset their development expenses before the wave passes.

Larry

Last edited:
Back