What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

when to install fiberglass ends

ditch

Well Known Member
All I have left on the tail kit is the fiberglass tips. I want to smooth them out with fiberglass but was a little confused on the balancing part of it. I thought I read you balance them when they are installed on the fuselage but I see others do it well before that. When can I install them and how should I balance them. Another thing, how do you add and remove weight once they are installed and riveted on? Will painting them affect the balance enough to mess with? Just want a little clarity on this part. Thanks

Do it now

First, let's hear who you are. Put your name, location and what you're building/flying in the signature box. We're all friends here.

Balance each elevator on their own without the fiberglass. I set mine up so the counterweight was level as possible. I then did all of my fiberglass work. This involved completely faring in the tips, capping the ends and filling the counter balance channels in both the elevator and the stabilizer.

When done each counter balance was hanging low maybe a quarter inch. Good enough. They were equal.

Regarding painting, when I was done the elevators and put everything back together, the elevators were in the same as before paint. If you've added enough paint to affect the balance, you've added too much paint.

Paint should have no discernable affect on the balance.

RV7Guy said:
First, let's hear who you are. Put your name, location and what you're building/flying in the signature box. We're all friends here.
I had tried to do it when I first joined but couldn't get it to work. I'll try it again.

Thanks for the info. going out to hook the elevators and rudder on right now. We'll see what happens, wish me luck.

RV7Guy said:
Regarding painting, when I was done the elevators and put everything back together, the elevators were in the same as before paint. If you've added enough paint to affect the balance, you've added too much paint.

Paint should have no discernable affect on the balance.

I used yellow, and then added some black stripes. Yellow requires "many" coats, since it lost it's lead! :D

In my case, painting did make quite a difference. I had to add new lead, to where I had removed it previously.

Elevators were originally balanced seperately. One required the full chunk of Van's lead to balance the trim tab & servo. The other elevator had a lot of lead removed. This time around, I balanced as a unit, by adding all the lead I had once removed.

L.Adamson RV6A

Last edited:
Sorry, Darwin, but I disagree...

RV7Guy said:

I balanced mine before painting (and they were perfect).
After painting I rechecked the balance and needed to add 6 oz of lead into the front of each tip to get the balance back. :(

I am not sure that they need to be balance so closely. :confused:

There are a lot of posters that don't sign their messages and I think that it is nicer when replying to them to use there name. You can figure that out most of the time by going to their profile.

Greg, good luck with your -7 and if you go to "User CP" / "Edit Signature" you can add all kinds of cools stuff to you posts.

Kent

Last edited:
L.Adamson said:
Elevators were originally balanced seperately. One required the full chunk of Van's lead to balance the trim tab & servo. The other elevator had a lot of lead removed.
I to noticed that on the left elevator I was way short on the lead. Had to order up another stick from vans. The right was perfect. Another question, when you drill the hole in the horns, does the bolt just sit in there freely with no spacer bushings between the horn and bearing? It must, but seems a little wierd.

I have to agree with Kent. Almost ALL the paint on control surfaces is behind the hinge point. Therefor it HAS to affect balance. General rule is to slightly overbalance before paint. Over balance is better than under balance. If they are still nose heavy after paint, it's easy to drill out some lead.
On the other question, you will need to add washers to fill the space between the push rod and elevator control horns.

RV7Guy said:

If you click on his name, then "View Public Profile", you'll see his name, what he's building and where he's from.

????

craigvince said:
If you click on his name, then "View Public Profile", you'll see his name, what he's building and where he's from.

I'm well aware of how to view things but this is a request of Doug that everyone have signature information on each post. Check his guidelines.

There's no good reason not to include that info. As I said, it is nice to use the name when replying to a post.

I trimmed the weights like Vans said and the the right elevator is balanced, the left is under by a lot. I've seen some photos by doing a search of attaching a nut plate, washers and a bolt near the weight. This leaves room for adjustment by installing washer weight later. I'm attaching the fiberglass tail pieces now.

Tail complete, on to the wings.

skatetrainer said:
I trimmed the weights like Vans said and the the right elevator is balanced, the left is under by a lot. I've seen some photos by doing a search of attaching a nut plate, washers and a bolt near the weight. This leaves room for adjustment by installing washer weight later. I'm attaching the fiberglass tail pieces now.

Tail complete, on to the wings.
So did you do like I did and cut the lead for the left one the same as the right one? I just noticed on the plans it says only cut right lead. Oh well, a new chunk of lead is on its way from vans. I guess if thats the only major mess up, I should be happy. I can always use the extra lead if it is still light. Going to be tricky getting the new lead in and mounted though, especially getting the holes drilled the same. If it's still light, any body ever fiberglass the extra lead right to the inside of the cover? Thought I'd try that if need be.

Back